office conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a old building outside my house I need to convert to an office. I need to level the floor - my first question is this:-

1. I have a one ton bag of cement gravel sat outside. It's been there for 2 or 3 years now and grass has even started to grow on top of it. If I scrape the top surface off it can I still use it for cement/concrete ?

My second Question is :-

2. The building is 4m by 5m 2 adjacent walls are made from breeze block and seem to get quite damp in winter as there is only one layer of breeze blocks. If I dig down a foot or so in the outside of the wall and fill it with concrete would this stop and moisture being sucked up ? The outside of the wall is painted with weather proof paint.

Unfortunately I have a limited budget and can't afford to knock it down and start again - just looking at all my option just now.

Thanks in advance for your comments

Andy

Sponsored Links
I'd think the gravel would be okay!

Its difficult to say the cause of the damp...is there a damp proof course, is it used as presently, any ventilation etc etc

Don't bother digging down around the wall, the damp is probably because there isn't a damp proof course installed. Extra cement "footings" wont help with the this

You can inject a dpc in the wall, would cost less that £100 for this roughly, if this is the issue.

Defo sort the issue before installing a floor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back