office partitions need to conform to building regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're dividing a large office space to sublet part of it. So we're building new internal partitions (studwork with glass panels inset for lots of light).

Do we need to worry about building regs on this, e.g. checking the glass is the correct BSxxx standard or whatever?

Obviously we'll do the sensible thing and make sure the glass is marked so no-one walks through it, and it's not cheap thin glass but do I have to worry about the official regulations and who's there to check if I don't and what sort of trouble could I get into if the builder doesn't do it right?

Sponsored Links
It appears from the following that Building Regulations apply and that the work is notifiable:

Do I need Building Regulations approval to install or adapt office partitions?

In all cases the answer is yes, even if the partitions are non-load bearing, as the means of escape and other measures such as access and ventilation could be affected. An application should be made, even if the situation is not made any worse or better.source and source

What is meant by the term Minor Work?

Minor Work covers alterations in existing buildings e.g. office partition alterations, where there is only a small or moderate input of work by us in processing, assessing and issuing conditions and carrying out site inspections. source

As you will be subletting, there may be issues of fire compartmentation between the different tenants; if you get that wrong and someone dies then you could end up in clink. [/url]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back