Partition wall and Building Regs

27 Feb 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom

I'm moving a doorway from one internal studwork partition wall to another and I have a question regarding one of the walls.

I have removed one short partition wall that runs perpendicular to the joists. The doorway used to be in this short wall.

At right angles to the short wall is the partition wall where I'm putting the new doorway. It runs parallel to the joists but is not supported by them and runs between two of them instead.

I have to get Building Regs passed at various stages as the room will be a bathroom. I understand that if I were putting in a new wall parallel to the joists, I would have to make sure that the new wall was aligned so it sat on top of one of the joists. However, all I'm doing is putting a doorway into a pre-existing partition wall. My question is will I have to move it to satisfy Building Regs?

Thanks very much
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links