Oh dear!! Enough said!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today I was changing an old ELCB for a RCD and adding a socket, when I came to do my tests I found a L-E short on the oven circuit (only when switched on!!!).
After a bit of poking around I found this!! (hob) :eek:
hob.jpg

And when after fixing that, the fault still hadn't cleared and I found this!! (oven) :eek:

oven.jpg

And surprise surprise, the kitchen was only fitted in the summer!! Was a good thing that I changed that old ELCB :)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Unless you were blind, how could someone wire that up soooo wrong?!!!

Amazing!

Is that brown conductor in the oven supply cable actually connected, or is it just lying there?

Gettin git wrong not once.....but twice! I guess they though they did right, and hey - it worked!

This makes one very good point, other than the obvious......ELCB's are shockingly ****e, and require replacing, or earthing upgraded as soon as seen.

I could not beleive it myself, this was done as part of a kitchen replacement in the middle of last summer (2007) and the guys that did the kitchen units also did the hob and oven. And yes they were paid!!

To be honest, I thought initially that there must have been a fault with the oven or hob, as it tested out ok with the isolator turned off, when I saw what they did with the hob it made me laugh in dismay :( as to how wrong it was - also on the rear of the hob was a wiring diagram!! and when I tested again, before seeing the oven, and got the same results I just knew what they had done. Don't know if they were kitchen fitters or if they were 'handy andy's' - the kitchen did look good, but they should know their limitations!!

Secure (and anyone else!!) feel free to use my pictures (there are a few more on my free webspace, but don't expect them to be around for long as I'm moving house soon and changing my phone/broadband supplier)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back