Oh no.. testing motorised valve and....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just tested my motorised valve (HONEYWELL 3 port mid poisiton type) - the HW and HTG are both off but I pushed the lever arm across to MAN and i felt resistance... on return there was no resistance and then when i moved it across again to MAN there was still no more resistance! Have i buggered the valve up? All I did was push it across out of curiosity to test it!

Should I have turned on HW before testing??!!

Is this supposed to happen??!!

Sponsored Links
thats not really "testing" it, try turning HW on and it should return to its normal (port A closed) position. then try the heating and see if that works

Hi

I put HOT WATER only on and the valve had resistance when moving the lever to the MAN (OPEN) poisiton.

but when i returned it by hand again to AUTO there was no resistance felt and then when again pushed across to MAN (OPEN) still no further resistance ..

why is this?

the valve is being held in it last position, normal.
isolate the power from the fused spur then turn back on it will reset.

Sponsored Links
thanks seco services for your help.

so basically it is is mid position now until i turn it off and back on again to reset it.

have just turned hot water only on again (reset it as you said) and it is like before, resistance at first when pushed across, so it is working correctly.

i guess if when hot water only is on and there is no resistance felt at first, then the valve is open to both circuits and is faulty, probably i am thinking due to a faulty spring ?

i guess if when hot water only is on and there is no resistance felt at first, then the valve is open to both circuits and is faulty, probably i am thinking due to a faulty spring ?
Rarely the spring.
More likely just seized, or faulty wiring, which is the most common fault after a dud motor.

try turning on HW - does it work

turn off HW and turn CH on - do rads heat up

turn on HW - do both work.

Could be due to a faulty internal switch or wrongly wired. And sticking, can be intermittent.

if when hot water only is on and the level had no resistance felt when it was moved to the MAN (ON) poisiton, then surely the valve wouldn't be seized (as the lever would not move) This would mean the valve was loose and open to both circuits wouldn't it, but it wouldn't be from being seized up would it not?!
What is the plumbing and/or central heating problem that you want help in solving?

:oops:

I was just testing my valve and it all started from there really ... curioisty i suppose.

thank you all for your replies and help.

it has been appreicated very much.

btw - what do you mean sticking is intermittent (i know what intermittent) but what exactly would be sticking? the spindle?

I was just testing my valve and it all started from there really ... curioisty i suppose.
Leaving aside the fact that you weren't testing it, you haven't actually said why you weren't doing what the rest of do with working zone valves, i.e. leaving them well alone.

i was just testing it and fiddling about and curious really!

well there was nothing else to do today! 2 crappy footie matches on that weren't exactly mouth watering!! but that was about it! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back