Ohms Law Quiz

The problem in real world is if one makes a minor mistake like forget to add minus when squaring J or as I did miss off three zeros then the results can be costly so we tend to used spread sheets or other programs where the program can be tested and ensured error free which removes the chance of expensive errors.

On the Falklands someone in PSA miss read the annual rain fall by a factor of 10 and as a result monsoon ditches were built either side of the road. As well as the expense of making the ditches it also means if a vehicle leaves the road it will normally turn over. Which has cost quite a few lives mainly military as contractors and locals don't use soft top Landrovers.

All because of an extra 0! Can you imagine what it would have been like in Roman times with no Zeros!

But even BAS example got some answers well out and this is a problem where we do not normally calculate. For example if I wanted to run in an extra long ring main I could try to calculate the length.
We know for 2.5mm how many meters is now allowed. So I will give 4 lengths one of which is correct if we used 4mm cable instead:-
a) 109 meters
b) 174 meters
c) 179 meters
d) 197 meters
Now if you Spark123 had to decide if any of those results looked right you could most likely pick the correct figure.
I built a spread sheet to work out length for 2.5mm cable which gave same results as the guy in IET lecture stated was maximum length and to get results for 4mm I had only to change two figures. Current carrying capacity moved from 20A for 2.5mm to 27A for 4mm and the mV/A/m changed from 18 to 11. So I am very unlikely to have made any errors.
So how many can select correct select the correct answer? In other words if something went wrong with your calculations would you notice? Two of the figures have been arrived at by entering wrong information i.e. a real mistake likely to be made. I have also tested using 26A for design current for cable as it shows 21A in table but we use 20A in calculations and the answer to 3 sig figures is the same.
If I ask for a guess then no one can be shamed for getting wrong answer.

Sponsored Links
The correct answer is 176m for a 4mm/1.5mm ring final circuit with RCD protection and protected by an MCB.
:p

Maximum length of 4mm² cable.
1) mV/A/m = 11
2) With correction as shown on page 258 section 6.1 = 9.84949 using correction factor of 0.895408.
3) 5% volt drop = 11.5 volt
4) 11.5/(9.84949/1000)/26 = 44.90666 [/1000 to make into volts]
5) 44.90666 x 4 = 179.6266 [ x 4 because ring main]
Returning to correction factor Nominal volts = 230 Max temp tp = 70 Rating factor for grouping and abient temperature Ca = 1 Design current for circuit ib = 26 tabulated current carrying capacity It = 56
1 to power of 2 = 1 so Ca x Cg = 1 and Ib²/It² = 0.215561
So 1=0.215561 = 0.784439
0.784439 x 40 = 31.37755
230 + 70 - 31.37755 = 268.6224
268.6224/300 = 0.895408
11 x 0.895408 = 9.84949 mV/A/m
May be you can point out where our calculations differ?

Sponsored Links
That is odd as I used exactly same maths to get a 106 meters on 2.5mm as the 179 meters with 4mm cable and yes of course RCD can't have 13 amp sockets without RCD any more.
Maybe this is a question for IET forum?
This I do find annoying as on site guide I take it just gives figure without why?
I have tried to see what would allow that change reducing tabulated current-carrying capacity of a cable It needs it to drop to 46 amp so that's out.
On the mV/A/m it is about 0.2 it would need to change so maybe they have included another formula as well?
If they used the same Ct as for 2.5mm it comes out at 174 meters which I expected people to make a mistake with which is why I gave that option.
Think I have found it I have corrected all figures to 2s.f. and then I got same answer which raised a good point and shows how easy it is to get what is apparently wrong answer.

That is odd as I used exactly same maths to get a 106 meters on 2.5mm as the 179 meters with 4mm cable and yes of course RCD can't have 13 amp sockets without RCD any more.
If the cables are not unprotected concealed and the sockets for a specific purpose then RCD protection can be omitted or they could install sockets with integrated RCDs and leave the circuit wiring not RCD protected.
In the case of no RCD protection the Zs can limit the conductor length.

Yes I know about exceptions but on this post was only really concerned with maths. Tim West really started something. I was using a PDA as a phone with excel and PDF and could carry all that was necessary to work out these problems. But it kept doing daft things in my pocket in spite of disabling most of the buttons and ending up with flat battery, so this time getting a communications device phone, text, MSN, Skype.
So I will I am sure have to get out the pen and paper again. It still amazes me that so many people fill in installation certificates with details which do not pass?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back