misleading ohms law speaker current draw

Sponsored Links
Geez, a 16ohm speaker (or two) is the correct size speaker for the Scantronic (and others).

Stop playing with the numbers and values, you are becoming paranoid.

A 16ohm speaker is a 16ohm speaker however you look at it.

The only difference between them is the power rating each is rated at. I am not into alarms but I would expect the alarm panel has a rated output in milliwatts.

Now say you connected a speaker that is rated at say 250mW, that is the power the speaker can handle without going into self destruct mode, you will get a reasonable sound level from it.

You posted about a 20Watt speaker. Yes you can connect it to the panel without any problem electrically. The problem you will probably have is that the panel will probably have insufficient power output to actually drive the speaker so the sound level will be low, very low!

Speakers are rated on the power they can handle, provided the unit supplying the output can provide that level.

Your post seems to be more a case of if I put a higher powered speaker into the circuit will I get a louder audible tone. Short answer is no.

Sponsored Links
aye i know that genius :rolleyes: can someone who knows what they are talking about help me. for those who have nothing helpful to say shut up and dont reply

The answer is it depends on the frequency, 16 ohms is a nominal impedance for a speaker but current draw varies, as with an inductor, depending on the frequency of the signal driving it.
Are you just wanting to know what size wire to use for it?

hi there spark123,all i want to know how much current the speaker draws from the control panel i am trying to work out my total load and im lost with the speaker, having done some research the panel is rated to 1.25 amps and the voltage is 13.7. i now assume the panel is pushing 1.25 watts through the speaker i am just unsure about the speaker draw the calculations are confusing the speaker is a 16 ohm 20 watts. the point to this question is i am trying to work out my total load for the system that why i need to know the current draw from the speaker. thanks

Remove the speaker set off the system measure the current draw....
Now connect the speaker and repeat.... There's your current draw from your speaker....

Geez, a 16ohm speaker (or two) is the correct size speaker for the Scantronic (and others).

Stop playing with the numbers and values, you are becoming paranoid.
What's the problem with this, it's what the alarm trade uses.

If you want to know the total current draw, get your meter out, done.

One question, why?
You had all the answers and agreed on Feb 10th that there was no problem.

Oh yea, lose the attitude or you will end up getting no help here.

attitude :LOL: you never answered my question. earlier on none of you had the decency to reply a simple yes or no to my question and then you started to ignore me that is rude so dont get on your high horse with me about attitude mate. you haven't said anything helpful now go away, i do not have a meter i said that at the start thats why im asking this question. get spark123 back or bernard or someone who knows what they are talking about. all this fuss for a single question just stop being a tight arse and answer please

having done some research the panel is rated to 1.25 amps and the voltage is 13.7. i now assume the panel is pushing 1.25 watts through the speaker

If the panel is rated to 1.25 amps then almost certainly the power fed to the speaker from the panel will be included as part of that 1.25 amps.

The speaker wattage rating has absolutely NO influence on how much power is fed to it from the panel. The power fed to the speaker is controlled by the amplifier in the panel. The impedance will have some effect on how much power is transfered from the panel to speaker but the maximum power possible in the speaker is set by the amplifier. That is true for all properly designed panels, some cheap and/or poorly designed panels may behave differently )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back