internal alarm speaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening, I have a scantronic 9600 which I love to bits, overall great system never let me down. but I want to try and sort something out for some time which will make it a bit better. I currently have a 16 ohm speaker (elmdene) which is (very loud) but it is just not quite loud enough in some respects (doors shut ect). so I was thinking of buying an elmdene 8 ohm speaker. because 8 ohms are louder than 16.

as the system can drive 2 16 ohms in parallel from the manual. I figure it could handle a 8 ohm with no problems.

so I would just like to add that little extra increase in volume because that's all it needs then it will be perfect. but I propose to use some kind of resistor in series with the new 8 ohm just to keep the draw down and avoid any possible damage to the panel amplifier.

so will this work?. am I wasting my time? will this slight decrease in in ohms increase the decibels?

I would like to keep the speaker where it is because like I say the sound distribution is pretty good but I would just like to make it a bit better. I would like to keep the speaker as the internal siren. I do not want additional sounder that follows the bellbox. thanks

from your experience let me know what you think. thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Evening, I have a scantronic 9600 which I love to bits, overall great system never let me down. but I want to try and sort something out for some time which will make it a bit better. I currently have a 16 ohm speaker (elmdene) which is (very loud) but it is just not quite loud enough in some respects (doors shut ect). so I was thinking of buying an elmdene 8 ohm speaker. because 8 ohms are louder than 16.

as the system can drive 2 16 ohms in parallel from the manual.

8 ohms aren't 'louder' than 16. It depends on the efficiency of the speaker and the characteristics of the amplifier.

You would be better adding another 16 ohm in parallel with the existing speaker, and put the new speaker the right side of the shut doors.

Or use a more efficient speaker such as a horn speaker such as two of these (in series)
https://www.cybermarket.co.uk/shop/...rup-5-humidity-proof-horn-speaker-371884.html

hmm that is a bit too fancy lol. what about a cqr soint 1 or a kinetic or something?

Sponsored Links
its an elmdene speaker and I believe its about 7 to 8cm will confirm properly tomorrow., do you mean the cone or the round diameter part of the speaker?. thanks

Last edited:
It's down to the size and watts the small speakers eg Texecom speakers are quieter than the larger elmdene speakers 8 or 16 ohm large speakers

thanks. tbh I think I will just leave it as it is, its is good as it will get. hope I have not wasted to much of your time. Iv'e learned something new today from you two, so your replies wasn't pointless. cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back