misleading ohms law speaker current draw

All credit to you Bernard for continuing to assist calum95!

I think given his very poor attitude a lot of us would ignore or tell him where could shove his badly worded and confusing question.

calum95 - I think you need to take a step back and look at the way you are addressing people who are under ZERO obligation to assist you. You are demanding a response almost as though they owe you their life. Your question was badly phrased and some contributors were trying to seek clarification about why you were asking so that they might more ably assist you in your quest.

I think Bernard has provided the answer you require, an alarm panel will be rated in order to take into account the loads of an internal speaker at the specification (ohmage) provided in your case (16 ohms it seems).

In short I suggest that if you want to continue to request people to assist you in their spare time then you do lose the attitude. I would also advise that you invest in some test equipment. If you want to dabble then multimeters are invaluable (even a cheap one).

Kindest Regards :)

Sponsored Links
The thing is, all this was answered when HE asked the same question on Feb 7th :rolleyes:

thanks for replying i will give a miss,my main concern was that i may be overloading the panel because the total current was 712ma and i assumed the speaker was 100ma so a total of 812ma, so i may be overloading the panel by 12ma.

am i just worrying over nothing or am i underestimating the 9600 alarm panel? is the 9600 a powerful panel?

cheers

The bold quote relates to the use of a £5, or less, cheap multi-meter

get spark123 back or bernard or someone who knows what they are talking about
Your attitude stinks and your comments insulting.

I have little experience of alarm panels admittedly but the alarm speaker is driven by a small audio amplifier and in that department I hold more theoretical qualifications and practical experience in designing, installing and servicing audio systems than you could ever imagine possible.

I could have posted a whole load of formula relating to your question but chose to come down to your level and give practical explanation instead.

Still Bernard has repeated, in his own words, exactly what I was trying to say to you so hopefully you are happy.

Strange how often people come on here, rather than pay a professional, then DEMAND answers. Get a life, get lost, the world is a better place without you, and because of your attitude you have earned the prized position in my ignore list.

Sponsored Links
the 9600 internal speaker output is marked siren.
If it is designed to drive a siren then all it's doing is turning on a 12V* output. If you connect a speaker across that then it will draw a lot of current and either a fuse will blow or the speaker coil will melt. When it's turned on, the cone will just "click" to one extreme and you'll get no sound.

A speaker output provides a much lower voltage AC output (one where the voltage alternates positive and negative).

TL;DR version - a speaker is NOT suitable for an output intended to drive a siren, and vice-versa.

* It's 12V nominal, although that means the battery is "floated" at around 13.7 to 13.8V.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back