Oi, you, get back to work!

Sponsored Links
Agreed. It has always been highly questionable to use mechanisms such as tax credits to top up the wages of people on low wages to the level at which they can afford to live, simply because employers won't pay a living wage. This is something the political right seems to have major problems understanding

Possibly, I've always thought the introduction of a 'minimum wage' has held back wage growth.

Possibly, I've always thought the introduction of a 'minimum wage' has held back wage growth.
Based on the number of employers who think it is acceptable to have a goodly percentage of their workforce on minimum wage (topped up with tax credits and housing benefits to make ends meet) it has held back wage growth

Sponsored Links
Read something in the paper the other day about a company that paid staff more and, who knew, they were happier and worked better.

Until they weren't happy, and wanted more.

Not a knock, but seen many times with my own eyes.
If money is the motivator, any increase soon becomes the new normal.

Better than workers only being paid what employers are willing to pay though.
Yes. But sadly even though it's a minimum, various companies have been fined for not even paying that. Some big names too.

When companies won't even pay the minimum is it any wonder how bad it is out there for some. From bad treatment and feelings, problems grow.

And here are people complaining about poor service, often from those on the very minimum

Sponsored Links
Back