Oi, you, get back to work!

Jeez, change your colostomy bag and calm down. I was merely pointing out that it's not just young people who are capable of being lazy halfwits, it's a capability shared among all age groups, in contrast to the "it wasn't like that in the old days" prevailing tone whining its way through this thread.

Personally, I've found that older customer-facing workers are very capable of being ignorant and unfriendly - especially towards younger people, and lots of big businesses lose customers due to this bad attitude.

Many who were working in the heavily unionised 1970s still have the stinking attitudes of back then, they won't do anything that wasn't in their job description and don't care in the slightest about whether their employer makes money or not. Go to work, do as little as possible, go home again.
Poor service by anybody, any age is usually down to lack of reward.

Or for the better off oldies still at work, lack of interest to do any different

Sponsored Links
benefits were around quite a bit before them.
I'm pretty sure that, perhaps with a few minor exceptions (e.g. child allowance pocket money), the benefits system didn't previously lob money at working people.

As ever, Labour is incapable of understanding unintended consequences. If they top up the wages of part-timers to earn near enough the same as a full timer then many will make the obvious choice to work less for the same money. Many did, and still do, and the likes of the BBC would be full of poor starving families if any of this was reversed, guaranteeing electoral defeat.

Much of the decline in working for a living has been down to under-employment rather than unemployment.

Sponsored Links
Personally, I've found that older customer-facing workers are very capable of being ignorant and unfriendly - especially towards younger people, and lots of big businesses lose customers due to this bad attitude.
Really? You are missing the words "as well" in there, surely?

Many who were working in the heavily unionised 1970s still have the stinking attitudes of back then, they won't do anything that wasn't in their job description and don't care in the slightest about whether their employer makes money or not. Go to work, do as little as possible, go home again.
From that I can only conclude that you aren't old enough to have lived through the 1970s, at least not as an adult, and that you've fallen for the Tory BS about the behaviour of unions especially back then

BTW, are you aware of what a colostomy bag is and why it is needed. Again, rude and ignorant behaviour from someone who talks about manners

Last edited by a moderator:
Older people are mostly honest, with less of an axe to grind - not really suitable as Halford's employees.
Not true. There is always likely to be an older person around. In DIY stores too but contacted by other workers for advice.

My car battery caught covid in the first waves. :( Not been the same since. Latest wouldn't hold a charge for 3 days so had another fitted. It took 2 ladies as one couldn't get the old one out. There was an older person kicking about generally on the shop floor.

Post retirement I went into a Lidl and found a technician that used to do some work for me at times at the checkout. The work had left the country. Some time later he was no longer at the checkout. I asked. He now works in the office. Wouldn't surprise me if he now manages it. An ex apprentice from a time when larger companies were very selective about who they took on. Qualifications were one aspect but some had their own tests as well. Eg mine which will have been similar. 1000+ applicants for 20 places and 3 specific tests one an interview. 2 intelligence related.Best to get A rated in all. No guarantee of a job at the end and may get chucked out part way through. None did in my intake but behaviour etc finishes up in the company records. Stuff goes into that for years even when the apprenticeship is over.

Not true. There is always likely to be an older person around. In DIY stores too but contacted by other workers for advice.

My car battery caught covid in the first waves. :( Not been the same since. Latest wouldn't hold a charge for 3 days so had another fitted. It took 2 ladies as one couldn't get the old one out. There was an older person kicking about generally on the shop floor.

Post retirement I went into a Lidl and found a technician that used to do some work for me at times at the checkout. The work had left the country. Some time later he was no longer at the checkout. I asked. He now works in the office. Wouldn't surprise me if he now manages it. An ex apprentice from a time when larger companies were very selective about who they took on. Qualifications were one aspect but some had their own tests as well. Eg mine which will have been similar. 1000+ applicants for 20 places and 3 specific tests one an interview. 2 intelligence related.Best to get A rated in all. No guarantee of a job at the end and may get chucked out part way through. None did in my intake but behaviour etc finishes up in the company records. Stuff goes into that for years even when the apprenticeship is over.

Sorry John, I cannot reply to that, because I am unable to make much sense of your Unwinese style of writing.

Sorry John, I cannot reply to that, because I am unable to make much sense of your Unwinese style of writing.

This is going to sound rude against John, but there is no intention to offend. I have said something similar to what you said in the past re. John's prose. He has a unique way of writing that leaves me totally baffled as to what he's trying to say. I have to skip all of his posts as reading them even very carefully leaves me none the wiser what he's trying to say. Almost like he writes how he thinks, with an assumption that the reader has access to his thoughts which would give them more information to fill in the gaps. Thought it was just me not comprehending.

Last edited:
Again, rude and ignorant behaviour from someone who talks about manners
If you want to have a serious and polite discussion then a good starting point would be to not randomly accusing people of being a "bigot" based on nothing.

Or, alternatively, just carry on lobbing stupid insults about then having a tantrum if anyone bites back, and remain perpetually annoyed.

From that I can only conclude that you aren't old enough to have lived through the 1970s, at least not as an adult, and that you've fallen for the Tory BS about the behaviour of unions especially back then

I did 2 brief stints at Ford truck plant in Langley, 1975. It was a closed shop so joining the Transport and General workers union was mandatory. On leaving the first time the foreman completes a form on which one of the questions is 'would you employ this person again?', I had to sign the form myself so I saw the good reference he gave me.
Second time I worked there I was on the chassis line, my job involved 2 people mounting the cabs on the chassis, which involved lowering the cab from overhead, stopping the line, slowly lower the cab down until the two halves of a hinge interlocked, bang a steel spigot through and pop a clip on. It was only possible on a 20 ft section of the line because of the hoists position.
From memory 44 trucks rolled off the line on each shift, one day only 43 were rolled off. No ones fault, everyone had completed 44 trucks it was simply due to spacing. When the line stopped, the 44th truck was right at the end of the line but had to move another 20 ft before it could roll, if they did that, it would take it past where the cabs are mounted.
The foreman approached me and the other operative and asked if it would be possible for us to mount another cab, he understood we had done our quota but it would be extremely helpful if we could do just one more.
It was 15 or 20 minutes before the end of the shift so we would be stood around doing nothing waiting to clock off, we both said yep, no problem.
Just as we started to lower a cab the shop steward and a number of 'henchmen' appeared and told us we didn't have to do it, we said 'yeah we know but it's no skin off my nose' to which he said 'no, you don't understand, you really don't have to do it'.
At this point one of his henchmen approached me and whispered in my ear what would happen to me if I mounted another cab so I said to the foreman 'sorry mate but you can see what's going on here, I can't help you'.
When I left about a month later I got the form to sign from the foreman and had a little chuckle.

Would you employ this person again? NO
Reason? MILITANT TENDENCIES

It's no wonder the UK has no industry, the unions demanded more and more until there was nothing left.

The recent Royal Mail strikes have been along these lines. Thousands of business customers have been forced to use alternative delivery companies. Many wouldn't have ever done this had RM not been in complete chaos recently, and many won't be back, as they've found out the alternatives are often better in lots of ways. The striking posties will end up with whatever pay rise they've harassed their way to, then will probably end up redundant later this year as their employer's business shrinks.

If the likes of Evri and Yodel have any sense, they won't even interview any applicant with Royal Mail on their CV.

Yeah we don't want a well paid workforce, or keeping up with inflation do we.

Sack everybody that wants work to pay better than benefits !

Sponsored Links
Back