Oi, you, get back to work!

The 70s figures probably weren't massaged. Don't forget all the extra numbers in higher unemployment today and hidden in other ways.
In recent terms it's still fairly low.

But oddly the same layabouts not working under Thatcher are also skiving off now. It really may be a lazy generation thing, there are real trends in behaviour that you can follow as a cohort age.

Sponsored Links
The covid scamdemic has ruined everything; it has destroyed the work ethic of many people; ...
How long since you worked with apprentices, @andy11? TBH in the last 10 years I've worked with two who were worth the effort (out of about a dozen). A lot of the kids we get now want the money but don't understand that in many trades it isn't just 2 years at college and boom! you are on the big bucks. So they get their level 2, take their **** poor tool kit out on site and try to be the big man. A lot of them (in my trade, at least) seem to cave in and give up within 3 years because there is no support system, no improver structure for them to work through, and no mentoring after they "qualifiy". So they never get to develop a work ethic.

"Sunak, who is spending a short Christmas break with his family at his home in North Yorkshire, spent Friday visiting a homeless shelter in London — a trip described as “excruciating” by Labour’s deputy leader Angela Rayner.

The prime minister dished out cooked breakfasts at the shelter, run by The Passage, and was filmed engaging in an awkward conversation with a man called Dean.

When Dean said that sorting out the economy would be good for business, the prime minister asked: “Do you have . . . do you work in business?” Dean replied: “No, I’m homeless. I am actually a homeless person. But I am interested in business.”

Sunak then engaged him in a lengthy conversation about Britain’s financial services industry."

FT.com

Sponsored Links
Pity Sunak didn't meet the guy shown today. He was sleeping rough, though he had a job. He couldn't afford a hostel every night.

"Sunak, who is spending a short Christmas break with his family at his home in North Yorkshire, spent Friday visiting a homeless shelter in London — a trip described as “excruciating” by Labour’s deputy leader Angela Rayner.

The prime minister dished out cooked breakfasts at the shelter, run by The Passage, and was filmed engaging in an awkward conversation with a man called Dean.

When Dean said that sorting out the economy would be good for business, the prime minister asked: “Do you have . . . do you work in business?” Dean replied: “No, I’m homeless. I am actually a homeless person. But I am interested in business.”

Sunak then engaged him in a lengthy conversation about Britain’s financial services industry."

FT.com
I imagine the homeless guy understood it better than Rayner would have on her best day.

We’ve got a society where success is measured in £, and at a national level that’s GDP. The only way to keep increasing GDP is greater productivity from each individual or having more individuals working. The current trend for early retirement has the potential to affect this illusion of success by impacting GDP.

Raising the state retirement age doesn’t just lower the pension bill, it keeps people in work for longer maintaining the GDP house of cards.

Youth of today don't want to work, quite happy living off their parents , all want to be YouTube stars and all want to be paid minimum 50k a year because they feel they deserve a superstar lifestyle like the idiots they follow on social media. Of course they don't want to work for the money either.

We've had issues at work just trying to get apprentices to build engines, we had a young lad we got rid of last week. He rocked yo to work everyday in a 18 plate BMW 135i paid for by his dad. His previous employer wanted him to sign a contract to put him through his apprenticeship over 4 years and wanted a commitment that once the 4 years was up he would stay a further 4 years before moving in if he wanted to move on otherwise he would have to pay for the college course. He turned it down as he didn't want to get locked in. Came to us, wasn't really doing great sat him down spoke to him, offered the world, said we'd support him with his HNC and his goalmto become a project manager, but we needed him to show us he was keen and interested as all reports so far hadn't been Stellar and people thought he was a bit lazy, sitting around a lot, never engaged with people within the engineering shop. Pulled him in at the start of last week and said you don't really.seem.to be making the improvement we expected, we'll pay you to end of month but leave Friday, the.end of the year is a good place to make a clean break. He said he'd rather not work till the end of the week, he wasn't really interested in the jin and didn't want to wait 2 years to train and join the project management team. Not entirely sure what planet he was on, but certainly wasn't the real world.

I have many other scenarios and cases and could bang on about this for many an hour, there's just something fundamentally wrong with the upcoming generation. Maybe it's just in north Essex that youngsters don't want to work.

Youth unemployment is quite low at the moment at around 10%

Compared to the 1970s it was in the region of 20-30%.

So it seems that the current batch of pensioners were on average lazier than modern man, woman and other?
now 16 to up to 18 years old cannot claim benefits so cannot be unemployed so not a fair comparason

And yet young people are in work and education, whilst the old are flaking out of the workforce to enjoy their gold plated pensions.

It's funny, every generation whines about the next being lazy and I'll behaved. But I'm not sure if there has been as massive a swing towards DGAF by the blue rinse brigade before. Why are the oldies of today so lazy?

now 16 to up to 18 years old cannot claim benefits so cannot be unemployed so not a fair comparason
...but benefits can be claimed for them.

The benefits system is the root of all evil in this country. And it attracts evils from other countries.

I work with kids that come from a PRU. (Pupil Referral Unit that deals with those excluded from mainstream education for one reason or another). It’s hard trying to install a work ethic/discipline into kids who see their 14 year old mates getting £150 a day running drugs. One has just gone on the run from East London and is now allegedly hanging about in Witham, Essex. I know that because one of the other kids told me. When I asked him how he knew, he said he follows him on 'Snapchat'. I dont know how that works TBH so it could be all bullshoite but he has been taken off the PRU's books and we won’t be seeing him anymore.

i retired at 55 I do a few wee jobs that add up to about 1 day a week if that . A large number of mates are going before they are 60 no intentions of every working fulltime again ones that have gone back to wee part time jobs is through boredom as opposed to financial reasons . Latest one finishes this week 200k lump sum and 2k a month pension at 60 from working in a reasonably well paid basic production job for past 40 years

Sponsored Links
Back