Oi, you, get back to work!

Sponsored Links
And yet young people are in work and education, whilst the old are flaking out of the workforce to enjoy their gold plated pensions.

It's funny, every generation whines about the next being lazy and I'll behaved. But I'm not sure if there has been as massive a swing towards DGAF by the blue rinse brigade before. Why are the oldies of today so lazy?

Their not though are they, if the oldies are coming out of retirement.

unemployment figures for 16-24 year olds are higher than any other age range and has been increasing, in a time when there are much spoke about skills shortages, it should really be dropping, so it does point to a degree of laziness or they are just too picky thinking they can earn the big bucks straight off the bat.with no effort. I think with the evidence presented people are right to complain about the youth, maybe if they spent less time worrying about which of the many made up genders they are.....

what reason can you advise for the 16-24 year old range to have such high unemployment?

In some.ways I do blame the parents like the chao we recently had at work, they bank roll their boy with fancy cars etc,.while he just tosses it off from Job to job. If they were to stop supporting him he'd have much more impetus to find and stick to a job and make a career . Obviously this isn't the case for all. But it is for many.

Last edited:
Their not though are they, if the oldies are coming out of retirement.
There might be a bit of the older pension age workers returning but the 50-70 range are flaking out.

Youth unemployment is always higher especially in recessions. Old people giving up work in the volumes we see at the moment is not.

Sponsored Links
Probably a small part, inheritance from their parents dying off.

In the vast majority of cases, there would be little inheritance to speak of if they (the "lazy" oldies) had been sponging off their parents throughout their lives in the first place.

Lockdowns coming home to roost know of many people whose attitude changed during lockdown and working from home it gave them a different perspective on free time and not being tied to going into work etc .Sat down worked out how much it cost them to live how much they would have coming in from works pension and said sod it and either finished or dropped down to a couple of days a week

I'd be happy to carry on working, but my biggest concern is will i be able to?

And yet young people are in work and education, whilst the old are flaking out of the workforce to enjoy their gold plated pensions.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Just how many of the old do you think have "gold plated pensions", then? For starters the vast majority of blue collar workers don't, because they were never included in the pension schemes that the management enjoyed. So for them it is a case of subsisting on the state pension and benefits.

Why are the oldies of today so lazy?
I find that a particularly ageist comment. Certainly in blue collar work by the time many people get to their 60s they really are physically worn out or ill. Or do you think we should all work until we drop? (Like the Tories seem to want us to) Amongst my own age group I know a number of people who have had hip or knee replacements (I'm one of them), have heart problems or other chronic illnesses, such as arthritis, which the young are far less likely to have to endure. Try working with a debility which puts you in pain all the time and see whether or not you want to continue working.

On the subject of laziness, I have just finished a project in Manchester where thete were no less than 8 joiners atvthe end, many of them in their 30s and early 40s, yet who have management retained to deal with the post completion snagging? The two "old guys" with health problems, aged 59 and 69 respectively. Why do you think that is?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know 3 immigrant families. From the Indian subcontinent,as it happens. The (immigranting) parents worked hard and did well.
It takes balls to leave your country and make out well somewhere else, but their next generation seems to be amongst the "entitled". Only a couple out of the ten or so kids have done well despite a far better education than their parents, and I know some are floundering around not being very productive, no career, etc.. Too many degrees in meeeja.
The parents are pretty keen to moan about it.
That's about 100% of the immigrant families I know, so I wonder how much the pattern is repeated in areas where there's been high immigration. It really came to me when I was at a wedding sharing a table with 2 of the dads, and it turned out, more of the same. All bleating about their lazy kids.

No one wants to invest in training young people.
The younger ones I was referring to were trained and qualified, but TBH they lack the work ethic of the older pair. In theory, being younger they should have more energy and be more curious, but I rarely meet younger guys in my own trade who take much interest in either the history of the trade (necessary as we work on a lot of older buildings in this trade) or new developments (self-education, if you like). Just why is that?

I've worked with a lot of apprentices and they were excellent. Eager and involved.

Then again we were paying them to do a degree whilst they worked with us as that's standard in IT. We also didn't try to use any of those exploitative contracts where you can't leave for X years afterwards.

They did have a hell of a lot of work though, a full days work then an hour or more of course work after work. Harder than when I did my degree.

Actually the BofE mentioned the change in the number of economically inactive. Illness figures.

Retirement. People can''t really say much about that until they have worked for a sufficient length of time. I retired at 55 and it wasn't because I didn't like the job I had far from it but for very specific reasons.

Being unemployed, easy to find another job. Depends if some on needs to change the sphere they work in. Much past 40 people will find that harder to do.

Sponsored Links
Back