OIL boiler flue hole - what diameter hole to drill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

For fitting a oil boiler to a wall as a new installation, what is the best procedure for drilling the flue hole?.

Basically, as per the instructions the flue has to be at a slightly upwards angle so that condensate can roll back. However I'm just wondering how big a drill bit to use for the core drill.. Here are my questions:

1. So given the flue diameter is 100mm, what is the appropriate size core drill bit to use (diameter wise)?
  2. How do you determine the angle?? is it just by tilting the drill slightly or is there a more accurate procedure?

The hole is going to be through a cavity wall.

Thanks

JH

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
But you said in the other thread that you're doing DIY gas work? which is it?
Decided to go for oil as it's cheaper and safer... also dont have a gas supply to my property.

So why were you wanting a corgi to fit a gas boiler for free then, if you've no gas supply.

I think you're lying.

Well, if I was your neighbour I would - DIY gas is illegal and stupid. Your basic questions on here illustrate that you haven't got a clue what you're doing, and you haven't got the test kit to make it safe even if you did. Your house insurance will be invalid.

You're putting other's lives at risk, and arrogantly you just don't care. You're too stupid to realise how stupid what you're doing is - you don't know what you don't know.

Well, if I was your neighbour I would - DIY gas is illegal and stupid. Your basic questions on here illustrate that you haven't got a clue what you're doing, and you haven't got the test kit to make it safe even if you did. Your house insurance will be invalid.

You're putting other's lives at risk, and arrogantly you just don't care. You're too stupid to realise how stupid what you're doing is - you don't know what you don't know.
You're making several misplaces assumptions I'm afraid.

and btw they're not called corgis anymore.

I'm not doing any DIY on gas. Full stop. You should know that DIY on gas is not allowed unless you are competetent gas DIY-er. And even if you are a comptetent gas DIY-er you cant do it for others, just yourself.

Those are the rules for H&S reasons. you'd be stupid to flout the rules. But I think you are taking this thread off topic. this thread is about drill size.

If you wish to discuss the legalitities of DIY gas please create a separate thread and i'll join if it's interesting enough

Take it to another thread. Simple forum etiquette not to corrupt a thread with off topic stuff.

Simple forum etiquette is a) not to lie, and b) not to solicit help for DIY gas work. Read the sticky thread.
If you've taken it upon yourself to be a do-gooder and police the forum, then go ahead and complain to a moderator (or ask to become a moderator).

BUT please stop riding my Manometer and stop crapping all over this thread

If you don't like what i've done to this thread, then you can go and report me to a moderator.

Otherwise is serves as a notice to gas men on here what you're up to, so they won't help you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back