OIL boiler flue hole - what diameter hole to drill?

Sponsored Links
I don't give a flying fook what you are doing.
I would not trust half of the so called "GasEngineers" ...........Fookin clueless some of them !!!!

Sponsored Links
I don't give a flying fook what you are doing.
I would not trust half of the so called "GasEngineers" ...........Fookin clueless some of them !!!!
My sentiments exactly. I also object to them calling themselves engineers. They're plumbers and anyone can learn their trade in a few days. It'll be a cold day in hell before I ever acknowledge them as engineers.

I'm not a plumber or a heating engineer, so I don't care what you say about them or not really.

But a couple of things strike me about that comment - it's not that bright of you to insult plumbers or heating engineers when you need their help, and, how can you be so sure you're cleverer than them when you're the one asking such elementary questions as what size hole to drill for a flue?

When you're ignorant of what's involved you can't really be the best judge of how hard it is, can you?

How hard is baking bread?

My sentiments exactly. I also object to them calling themselves engineers. They're plumbers and anyone can learn their trade in a few days. It'll be a cold day in hell before I ever acknowledge them as engineers.

I must be doing it wrong then, 40+ years and I'm still learning.
I still class myself as a Plumber or Gasman / Oilman/ Boilerman.
I don't give a fook so long as I get paid !!!

I'm not a plumber or a heating engineer

But you are a do gooder teachers pet.

They've fooled you into thinking it's hard. Piece of pi55 is the truth.

Do you really think I need their help?? FFS it's not rocket science... just drill a hole slightly bigger than the flue diameter.

I only ask to brainstorm and see if anyone has a better approach. The honest truth is my work will be much better than any (most) tradesmen would do. I have the luxury of time and I plan meticulously. No shortcuts, no cheap materials and no profit margin.

Last edited:
A do gooder teachers pet? Is that the best you can do?

You fit your own boiler and you're probably committing a criminal offence.

If you knew what you were doing you wouldn't be asking questions as basic as the ones you are.

Even if you did manage to research what you need to do, and all the regulations, you still won't have the equipment needed to safely install the boiler.

Your new boiler won't have a warranty - the manufacturer will waive all of that if it's not been installed competently.

Don't feed the troll....he must lead an exciting life that's all I can say...fookin ****t.

Sounds more like a small penis to me, and not a balanced brain.

Anyway, back to the 'Question'... different boilers have different flue sizes and different types of flue, so 100, 125, 150mm maybe, we don't know what make of boiler, heat output or flue configuration, so don't ask a lame question without any detail. Some flues are horizontal (Grant) while some are angled at approx 6° (from memory: Worcester). The details would be in the manufacturer's extensive literature if you could be bothered to either obtain a hard copy or look on their website.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back