Oil Boiler Intermittent Starting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello....new here.

As above...Typical...just as the weather turns colder..Trianco MonoFlame Minor

Won't beat around the bush....old boiler 22yo,probably on its last legs.....will now only fire up if,and i know this sounds stupid,if i blow warm air under the red cover on the main engine/firing mechanism control panel for about 60 seconds with a wee fan heater.

I have tried everything else.....even blowing cold air onto it,no luck.

Am i just mad or why is it that only warm air will make it fire up ?

That's the question...what mechanics are involved in that and is there an easy fix?

NB....when boiler is turned on,fan starts,most times hear a intermittent crackling sound then a click to try to fire it ,then the red lock out button and death

Any ideas ? :(

Sponsored Links
The only thing that hot air could do, is to help purge the flue, I would think.....which is exactly what the burner fan does as it spins before allowing the oil through for ignition.
The crackling could be the ignition spark either tracking from its HT cables or sparking against the blast tube.
Nothing that gives any trouble to the experienced eye, so maybe try another engineer - and make sure the baffles are clean inside and the flue swept, especially if they aren't.
John :)

Sponsored Links
warming the burner with a fan heater would indicate either a dampness or cold problem John has already talked about ignition issues and dampness causing the spark to track, But it could also be the motor capacitor failing to spin the motor when cold TBH it could be one of very many causes, which all the internet postings in the world will not diagnose! as was said at the beginning get it serviced! ;)

Thanks chaps...i'll get it serviced again...strange thing is it ran like a dream today until the sun went down !! :rolleyes:

Probably too lean a mixture that won't cope with a 'heavy' air supply. To those of us who can remember cars with a manual choke ,this will make sense.
Instead of using warm air in the intake, try covering it with your hand and you will probably find it will start. It may be that the oil pump or nozzle may not be performing as it should, or when serviced in April, if it was a warm day, and it was set a bit on the lean side, then colder weather can aggravate the situation.

Ok...now bear with me...i love to tinkle....in a safe way of course.

I 've by process of elimination found how to start the boiler everytime.

I took the cover off the air regulator and blew warm air from a hair dryer straight into the air regulator/fan opening for 20 seconds...then started the boiler ...success

Cold air did not produce any firing.

However most times once the boiler has got up to temperature and cycles off,i have to keep using the hairdryer to restart it.

Therefore in conclusion it must be something to do with warm air and air regulation.

Is there any way i can fix this myself ?

If you have a flue gas analyser and an oil pressure gauge, and know how to use them, then yes.
If you have years of experience and can see the flame, then maybe you can achieve the same effect.
Play about with the air shutter and you may get lucky, or you may create a load of soot.
You have been given lots of advice including get it serviced by a comprtrnt person!!!

I may still need to eat humble pie...but since i "tinkered" with the air regulator.....the boiler hasn't missed a beat and hasn't needed the fan heater to help it fire....and that's even as the weather dipped below zero !!

Psycho boilers !!

Fingers crossed :D

You may be on the ball here, but overfiring (too much air and a bigger flame than designed) will burn out the internal baffles......just for info.
John :)

Don't worry...i'll keep you all informed of it's resurrection or imminent death. ;)

Well,i did say i would tell u the latest......

Shortly after i last posted the boiler decide to play up again....thought,typical....i post and the gods have their revenge.

I read up on the internet about the air regulator...and it's wee metal adjuster....this has been missing for the last six months.

I found it again.

I decided to experiment leaving as much air into the system as possible....gradually settling on setting 3.....and now it's working.

Fingers crossed

:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back