Oil boiler locked out... can't get it working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Woke up to a cold house this morning. Red lock out light on control panel and on burner. Suspected frozen water in oil filter/line (minus 5 degrees and 4 inches of snow here) so poured boiling water over the filter housing and pipes and gave it a moment to warm up. Pressed the reset button on the burner. Burner fired but was running rough then cut out. Tried resetting again and it fired but cut out after a few seconds. Now it won't fire at all. I can hear the pump run for a few seconds then it locks out straight away. Suspect oil not getting through.

It's an old Boulter Camray 5. The oil tank is about 60ft from the boiler. The oil pipe runs outside mostly above ground. Two filters, one at the tank outlet, one where the pipe goes through the wall to the boiler. I've had big issues with getting air locks out before when the tank ran dry (three hours before the oil delivery arrived!) and the symptoms were exactly as today but that was two years ago and it has been faultless since. Can't think why there would suddenly be air in it now.

Any suggestions for what to try next? I know how to bleed air out of the burner, it's just a horrendously messy job and stinks the house out so don't want to do it unless really necessary.

Sponsored Links
Disconnect at boiler and check for oil flow...If none remove filters and check them.

Just turn oil off at boiler iso valve and undo flexy on pump.. Bleed into a container.

You've not necessarily got air in the pipe, just a blockage of frozen sludge. Clean out both filters, reconnect and prove the flow :
a. from the tank
b. from the 1st filter, by disconnecting the oil feed.
c. from the oil supply pipe before the 2nd filter.
d. from the oil pipe after the 2nd filter
e. from the bleed port on the oil pump.
Boiler should now run.

If you've water in line take out filters de frost line blow through with air then reconnect and try good case for checking tank and line on a regular basis.Bob

Sponsored Links
Quick update, did as suggested - opened up the filters,cleaned them, checked for flow, put it all back together again. Hey presto, it seems to be working. When things go wrong for me it's NEVER usually such an easy fix so I'm convinced I was lucky and it won't last!

Thank you as ever for your advice. One thing whilst I've got you....

Tiger loops. Are they recommended? I've thought about fitting one before after all the trouble I had trying to get air out. They seem relatively inexpensive and one with a built-in filter will be a straight swap for my existing filter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back