Oil Boiler Noise..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is not the right place to ask this, but it's my first time, so here goes....

I own a large bungalow, and am currently converting our kitchen to a kitchen diner, by combining it with the dining room. In the kitchen sits a Firebird S 85/115 Oil Boiler with conventional flu, connected into the chimney stack though the wall behind it. The boiler was originally surrounded by a brick built cupboard, but I knocked it down in a wild sledge hammer moment.

My problem is that the boiler is very noisy, and (re-)building a soundproof surround would impact the space we have created, as it is located in the middle of a wall. Ideally, it would be hidden undercounter, and quiet.

I am told by Firebird that converting the boiler to balanced flu would dramatically reduce the noise, but from what I have read, this could not use the chimney stack, so the boiler would need to be moved against an outside wall ?

So my questions...

1) Is it worth upgrading & moving the boiler and installing a new flu that is approx 6 - 7 years old ? I have had wildly varying, four figure quotes for this work..

2) Is there any way a balanced flu conversion could use the existing chimney stack ?

3) Will a balanced flu conversion really reduce the noise that much ?

4) If I have to pay for moving the boiler and installing a new flu through the roof, should I consider buying a replacement condensing boiler that might pay for itself over time though oil efficiency ?

Any comments would be warmly received !!

:D

Sponsored Links
Where exactly is the noise coming from. It could be down to worn motor bearings, an easy fix.

Sorry - should have mentioned that !

Basically, it is a loud roaring sound - doesn't sound mechanical. Recently serviced, and the engineer didn't comment that it was abnormally loud.

if you move the boiler,it would be classed as a new instalation and a condensing boiler would need to be fitted to comply with building regs,youll probably find that you can just hear the burner more now that the wall has been removed.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest asking the service engineer to take a look just incase something has come ladrift.

Without acttually being there to hear the noise its difficult to diagnose.

if you move the boiler,it would be classed as a new instalation and a condensing boiler would need to be fitted to comply with building regs.

This is not the case. A boiler that exists at a site may be disconnected and reconnected, even at a different location on the site. It has to be a condensing boiler only if it is replaced, AND ist is not exempted by certain site constraints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back