Open flue regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I hung up my U gauge years ago, so I am a bit out of touch with current gas regs.
I am posting on here as it is the nearest forum to gasfitting, (despite retired gasfitters supposedly being able to join Combustion Chamber, DIY just ignore me whenever I have tried to join:cry:) so a bit of current info would be welcome please.

I would always suggest a Room sealed / Balanced flue in preference to an open flued boiler, but are new open flued boilers still legal in domestic property?
My daughter and her husband are buying a grade two listed house (or money pit as it will no doubt be referred to in time!) I see from the property detail photos it looks to have an old Diplomat or similar open flued boiler in the kitchen flued into the chimney.
Bearing in mind any planning officer will freak out at the suggestion of drilling the walls and sticking a terminal on the outside, what is their position when the boiler has to be replaced?

Sponsored Links
Their position is up to them. Sometimes they allow an RS horizontal flue.

Open flues are still OK in domestics, although not in locations like bedrooms and bathrooms.

There are a number of flue liner solutions for modern condensing boilers, some of which incorporate air inlets in the annulus of the chimney.

Finding a company who still makes an open flued gas boiler might be the tricky bit! If you really can't get permission to have a flue terminal on the outside wall then some balanced flue boilers can be connected to chimney liners

Most planning officers and conversation officers are fairly reasonable as long as you are sensible with your location and offer to paint it to blend in with the surroundings.

In many locations it would never be noticed at all if carefully painted as long as not in a city centre or where anyone else wants to complain.

Tony

Sponsored Links
If I was a planning or conversation officer then I would be annoyed if anyone suggested we would freak out in respect of such a minor matter which is almost de minimis.

Tony

Thanks for the help folks, I guess a balanced flue up through the chimney might be possible, lets hope the boiler is OK for now. Good to know they can stay with open flued if need be. I expect there are some smaller commercial boilers they could look at.

If I was a planning or conversation officer then I would be annoyed if anyone suggested we would freak out in respect of such a minor matter which is almost de minimis.

Even the hedge is protected so it cannot be cut back any more to widen the access;) It's 16 cent or earlier lots of work needed to replace oak framed windows and re-thatch, I reckon they will have enough problems keeping the planner on side without suggesting a flue with maybe a plume kit poking out from the wall!(y)

All the best and a Happy Christmas to you all:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back