Oil Boiler Servicing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I said in my previous topic, my old Boulter 90/130 boiler is using a crazy amount of oil, around 1000L per month.

I inherited this old boiler when I bought the house last year and the previous owner fancied himself as a bit of a diy’er.

I believe the burner unit fitted to this boiler is not the original one and it was probably fitted by the previous owner.
And of course not set up and adjusted properly.

When I disassembled the burner last may I found the baffle (air flow thingy to make the air flow swirl) fitted incorrectly and its adjustment screw missing.
It was also coated with a thick layer of black soot, and when in operation it produces a very orange flame.
I don’t know if oil burners are supposed to produce an orange flame or if it should be blue?
If someone could let me know?

The burner is a:
RBL G7x
Type 458 T55
Cod 3745855
Mfd date 1995
Jet size 2.45- 5.8 kg/h
Rated at 29 - 69 kw

Does anyone have or know where I can get a service manual for this burner and some spare parts to service it with?

I have also had a thought that it could be delivering too much oil for the air flow it has and that it could be adjusted or a smaller nozzle fitted or perhaps both?

this might help with the excessive oil consumption?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
Check if that's really the nozzle size. 90/130 should have sizes such as 1.00, 1.10, 1.25 for their output ranges.[/quote]

thats what the id plate on it says... but it is probably not the original burner for the boiler :confused:

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

The data on the plate is not referring to the nozzle size, it's the oil throughput range of the burner. To find nozzle size will involve looking at its markings.

Sponsored Links
say its a 1.35 or 1.5 gph nozzle, ... then 1000ltrs per month is possible

Try turning the thing off. That might help.

say as a rough guide as we dont actually know the nozzle size yet?
assume a consumption of 4 litres per hour then over a 30 day month that infers you have been running a total of 8hr 20min everyday.
which is a little scarey,
where do you live?
a scottish castle :eek:

i will take the burner to bits tomorrow and see if the nozzle has any markings on it.

what about the orange sooty flame though is that normal ?

Very bright flame, yes. Sooty, no. You need to increase the air a bit, but the nozzle could be a problem.

bear in mind of course, that boiler must be filthy.
service means you clean it out and remove all the soot, if and when you get the burner sorted, and it might be if the burner is in a delapidated state, fundementaly cheaper to fit a new burner as the cost is less than the adding cost of replacing parts, you can get a burner for as little as £250.
either way it will need the rate matching to your boiler and system,
what size is your system?
and the combustion will need setting.

Before you go doing anything replacing bits, get the combustion checked, otherwise you could replace bits for no benefit. The burner you have may not be the original, but it is the one specified for the boiler.

I think that you should have it checked by someone who knows what they are doing !
If you do not have the necessary knowledge or equipment how can you repair it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back