Oil Boiler Servicing

online or heating supplier, I would go for same size, you should check pump press and combustion test though.

I was having a dig a mr wookfit actually, and he chose not to bite.. :cry:

go for 1,25 x 60w

although I bang in x 80w most times, but book says 60 in your case.

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

With a nozzle that size you need to measure the flue gas temperature. Its large. The burner looks reasonable, so it's probably burning fairly near what it should. Have you cleaned the heat exchanger. The baffles get stuck so you can't remove them.

With a nozzle that size you need to measure the flue gas temperature. Its large. The burner looks reasonable, so it's probably burning fairly near what it should. Have you cleaned the heat exchanger. The baffles get stuck so you can't remove them.[/quote]

no i have not cleaned them yet

i did take a couple of pics inside the combustion chamber though and noticed some corrosion in there.
links to the pics in my earlier post
is it ok for a while ?

Combustion chamber looks ok. It could last for a while, or a short while. At least you only suffer corrosion up there, not limesacale. When the boiler leaks water, you need a welder friend.

Sponsored Links
I was having a dig a mr wookfit actually, and he chose not to bite.. :cry:

I have worked with Tw@ts like you for many years.

You must try harder. ;)

Combustion chamber looks ok. It could last for a while, or a short while. At least you only suffer corrosion up there, not limesacale. When the boiler leaks water, you need a welder friend.

as you say,

much better condition than i would have anticipated :)

Hi all
I ordered some new nozzles for it.

thought i would try a slightly smaller one to improve the combustion a bit.

so i ordered a 1.10/60 a 1.20/60 and a 1.25/60.

i tried the 1.10 first and the burner seems to work much better than it did before.

the flame is much brighter and quieter and the boiler seems to get hotter faster.

hopefully using the smaller 1.10 nozzle will reduce the oil comsumption a bit as well (1000L a month)

:rolleyes:

Changing nozzles is not the cure for an unidentified problem.

the flame is much brighter and quieter and the boiler seems to get hotter faster.

Have you got ANY results to support this?

hopefully using the smaller 1.10 nozzle will reduce the oil comsumption a bit as well (1000L a month)

It will? It depends why it was using that amount in the first place. You won't be able to say what you have done has reduced consumption, as the weather is now warming up, and so the consumption will be dropping anyway.

true but it is recommended to change it every 12 months by the manufacturer?

Have you got ANY results to support this?

only my eyes and ears, the flame is brighter less orange and quieter.

It will? It depends why it was using that amount in the first place. You won't be able to say what you have done has reduced consumption, as the weather is now warming up, and so the consumption will be dropping anyway.[/quote]

i did say hopefully, a smaller nozzle = less oil used per hour ???

true but it is recommended to change it every 12 months by the manufacturer?

Do you change the injectors in your car every year? Nozzles can go on for years without problems.

only my eyes and ears, the flame is brighter less orange and quieter.

You need a flue gas analyser, unless you have a built in oxygen sensor and a carbon monoxide sensor.

i did say hopefully, a smaller nozzle = less oil used per hour ???

You are after HEAT. This is quantity of fuel used. Less fuel = less heat. It would be more effective and cheaper to turn the thermostat down. Changing the nozzle size without setting the combustion will reduce efficiency, and the boiler will burn for longer to produce the temperature required by your thermostat.

If you have a space heater in your shed, it will heat it, at a cost, turning off when the temperature was reached. It would be cheaper to use a candle, much smaller flame, but it would burn continuously, and never get the temperature high enough.

Is your oil tank easily accessible from the road?

You need a flue gas analyser, unless you have a built in oxygen sensor and a carbon monoxide sensor.

not on that old beastie

wish i could find an engineer localy who is willing to work on this old boulter instead of just trying to sell me a new one

Is your oil tank easily accessible from the road?

it is sort of ....... and i have thought about it ....... know where i can get a couple of man traps ?

:D

Unfortunately you are probably on borrowed time with that boiler. No one will willingly fix it as they don't know if you are likely to blame them when it dies.

Unfortunately you are probably on borrowed time with that boiler. No one will willingly fix it as they don't know if you are likely to blame them when it dies.

no one was willing to fix it a year ago when i moved in here thats why i am still nursing it along.

but that gets me back to the point of my other thread,
what boiler do you recomend when i can no longer fix this one and have to replace it?

what do you think of the Kroll range?

or the grant vortex?

or anything better?

you can get them from parts center,they are part of plumb center

p.s. what oil pressure do you have and whats the co/co2 reading :?:

regards jay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back