oil boiler triping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my oil boiler fires for a few sec and locks out then. we got a fill of oil the other day but i dont think the oil ran out. it also trips out the tripswitch in the house could this be electrical prob or something wrong with my burner? the burner is a riello 40 G3B

Sponsored Links
If the burner is tripping the house trip, then there is a direct short somewhere.....when you switch the burner on, it starts up and runs for a few sec, to 'purge' the flue. After this time it then starts the ignition sequence, followed by the oil switch on top of the pump. So, if the trip out isn't immediate, logically this would excuse the main motor and direct you to the ignition sequence governed by the control box.
The red lamp lockout makes you aware of no established flame, but it certainly shouldn't interfere with the house trip. John :)

Hi i got a pressure gauge and manafold and bleed the burner it was full of air and without the motor spining no oil came through the manfold then i pressed the lockout light and oil came through and then stoped again even with motor spinning but after another couple of goes it came through in sperts and then it fired up and away it went. The pressure was set at 12bar kerosene and the needle on the gauge seemed to be fluctuating a bit up and down i set it at 10bar cause i know this is max pressure for kerosene. my wife told me it was tripping out in the house yesterday when i was not there but has not tripped in house now, just the burners lockout light came was all

OK in which case I'd forget all about it.......I'll look up the pump pressure in a bit because this can be anywhere between 100 and 150 psi.....a gas analysis is worthwhile too. Hopefully you're warm again!
Cheers John :)

Sponsored Links
Yea heating is grand, i moved into this house about 3 years ago i wonder did the last people that own the house have gas oil cause i just filled the tank with kerosene when i moved in 3 years ago and there now i notice the pressure was set at 12bar, even tho i never got it serviced since i moved in just cleaned boiler myself and change nozzle, could the pressure go off this much over 3 years without a proper service due to gradual conponent wear?. anyway i set it at 10bar now anyway. what effect would it have on the burner having the oil pressure above its max working pressure can anyone tell me would this of being bad for my burner?

Yea heating is grand, i moved into this house about 3 years ago i wonder did the last people that own the house have gas oil cause i just filled the tank with kerosene when i moved in 3 years ago and there now i notice the pressure was set at 12bar, even tho i never got it serviced since i moved in just cleaned boiler myself and change nozzle, could the pressure go off this much over 3 years without a proper service due to gradual conponent wear?. anyway i set it at 10bar now anyway. what effect would it have on the burner having the oil pressure above its max working pressure can anyone tell me would this of being bad for my burner?

May have been bad for the baffles due to overheating.

The needle on the oil pressure gauge was moving up and down a small bit just shaking a bit on 10bar could this be the pump on its way out?

If your pump pressure is too high the flame can move away from the nozzle and impinge on the boiler wall, so its best to keep it at a recommended pressure. The pressure gauge needle should really be steady but you can't be sure that there's no air in the line to the gauge itself which could create a bounce.. Anyway if the pump can make 145 psi then its working fine - but its surprising how much rusty deposit can be in the pump filter...!
Its recommended to change the nozzle every year which I don't think is really necessary but as they are only 6 quid or so it does no harm.
As before, a gas analysis is the sure way to see if everything is working well.
I also like to keep a spare set of electrodes and pump solenoid coil in stock just in case of problems on Christmas Day!
John :)

I have had a problem with lots of black smoke on my worcester heatslave. The boiler has been standing for a few years. I have replace the nozzle twice and set pump pressure for nozzle size according to worcester manual. I have just dismantled the burner unit again and cleaned out the fan and housing where there was a lot of soot. Boiler now runs but with quite a lot of white smoke. I have gradually altered the air screw both up and down in attempt to reduce smoke. This unit is in an outbuilding. Is there anything else I might try to reduce white smoke volume. Just hoping smoke will not eventually turn black

The white smoke is soot/carbon burning off. It should slowly stop as deposits burn.
Have you cleaned the baffles and heat exchanger
Just noticed you have tagged onto an old thread Stick to your original post.

Last edited:
Thanks, yes I have cleaned chamber and baffles and they were in a fairly clean condition. OK I will run it for a longer period. I only need to run one radiator from it to heat my wifes work room in an outbuilding. I have an oil tank installed to feed this unit IF it runs but at the moment am running it off a temporary oil container at side of boiler. I have installed a tiger loop in the system. Thanks for feedback , Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back