oil boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
will an old trianco redfyre oil boiler run on a mix of 500lts heating oil and 80 lts white diesel. the boiler is set up to run on kerosene(normal heating oil.)

Sponsored Links
unlikey... they are very fussy with what they run on, ive see them run screwy with the wrong kerosene.

If you've got money to burn ( white Diesei) at that ratio, you probably wouldn't notice any difference at that ratio.

oilhead";p="1464142 said:
If you've got money to burn ( white Diesei) at that ratio, you probably wouldn't notice any difference at that ratio.

sadly not right about the money oilhead. mistake made in desperation following sight tube malfunction. ran completely out of oil! attempted top up after advice that it would be ok and run on diesel. so chucked diesel in. unable to get kero. for next ten days(weather permitting) cannot get ANY fluid through flexi tube to boiler. have tried disconnecting pipe from injector inlet and draining into a jar. Is diesel wrong weight or pipes frozen. runs along wall and under path.? any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
Diesels no good if the boilers been set up for kero,as said diesel is probably froze up,waxing.

Check your filter bowl(s) for frozen water first - the fuel may wax a bit but not freeze.
I think your kero to heavy oil ratio would still burn ok but could be a bit smoky...normally we would increase the pump pressure and air ratio to cope with this.
John :)

A bit smokey,your avin a larf.This boiler is going to be heading for scrappage if you encourage what youve answered. What if its an LLD flue on diesel?,is that ok aswel. What about the poor begger that gets called out to repair it.

OK fair enough - the guy just wants to keep warm I guess.
I won't comment anymore because I've never encountered that situation.
John

Didnt mean to be rude,but there could be a time that me or you get called to a job like this,dont use your skill and experience on helping somebody who obviously will not pay to get a decent Engineer in.

Again my apologies for being rude ;)

OKAY first thanks to every body for your posts. progress so far...
sod all!!! am in process of draining diesel from tank. I have a 10mm tube with comp. coupling from tank to where tube dives under path to enter house. drains from there okay. if frozen it will be underground. I will attempt to pressurize tube from boiler back to coupling to blow ice or diesel back out prior to new fuel intake. will have removed 60 of the 80 litres put in unable to get more out . ratio will be 500 to 20 litres. I know my limitations , I am a fully qualified gas heating engineer since 1978. but i know sod all about oil burners. I have though, removed and cleaned magic eye and injector and ignitor, as that was simple mechanics. when fresh oil arrives ( if before we freeze) I will bleed through to pump and then bleed nipple during firing cycle as that seems logical. don,t know what a LLD flue is mine is simple vertical flue. I,m in a bungalow.

DON'T wish to tread on anybodies toes, I know what it,s like! just want to keep missus warm when I,m at work which is 14 - 16 hour days at present.

YES slapper I take your point re getting decent engineer in, but it would be pointless and a waste of his time if I didn,t try to rectify my unintentional cock up first, wouldn,t it ? the boiler has not been run on diesel as i believe i said earlier. (would not flow to pump.) If it doesen,t fire up pretty damn sharpish after decent oil fill I will be on yellow pages mucho rapido

Hello Sailor ;)
Just for info, LLD is a low level discharge flue, not applicable in your case.
I'd be very surprised if your fuel line was frozen underground - is there any chance of fire valves etc being affected?
Apart from running a temporary 10mm pipe in, theres not much we can advise you on.
Very best of luck getting this sorted. My old boiler is chugging fine - but I am getting low on kero. Its been on order 2 weeks now but the tanker can't get into the village! :(
Be lucky mate
John :)

thanks john .the firevalve has its button all the way in. It will pull out and spring back I have disconnected the upstream end and still no flow there either. this doesen't seem to be my year so far, our washing machine, tumble drier microwave and slow cooker are also cattled! Oh! and my landrover now won't come out of 'difflock' think some ones trying to tell me something?

frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back