Oil burner fails to start intermittently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My oil burner sometimes fails to come on when the heating is timed to start. However if I open the boiler cabinet and press the red reset button on the oil burner, it fires up and works fine. Then a few hours or even a few days later, it won't come on again. Reset again, starts ok... rinse and repeat.

This has only started happening since before Christmas and I thought it was something to do with the cold weather (the boiler is outside the house). ISTR it happened before. The repair guy came over and stripped it down and replaced a capacitor (I think). It worked fine for about a year or so after that.

Anyone any idea what might be the problem? I would post a few pics if it weren't so dark outside just now :)

Sponsored Links
When you say that you push the burner reset button, is it actually lit up?

Hi,

we had a similar problem about a week ago, turned out it was a problem with a photocel, that wasn't detecting a flame

Tony

I don't think it was actually lit but tbh I just automatically pushed it after opening the cabinet door.

It has been ok over the last 24hrs but I'm guessing I'll have to get the guy out again on Tuesday to have a look at it.

@Tony - who diagnosed your problem and where would one get one these photocells?

John.

Sponsored Links
Hi

we called a guy from the oftec recommended installers, he came out, took a look at the boiler, said its likely to be this, have one in the van, lets give it a try - it worked, boiler has been working ever since.

Initially called a company recommended by our previous home owners (we only moved in end of Nov), they said, could be oil freezing in the pipework, along with everyone else that has called in today... try pouring boiling water along any pipework to see if that resolves - no joy with that one!

HTH
Tony

I wonder if the photocell problem is related to temperature? My boiler has been ok now that the temperature has gone above 0 degrees outside. I'm wondering if this only becomes apparent when it is really cold? Just a guess.

Tony did you experience the same thing as I am? Sometimes the burner kicks in, sometimes not - resetting works ok. Or what exactly were your symtoms?

Thanks

If the reset button on the burner is not lit up, then it has not gone to lockout, so pushing it should make no difference. So lets assume that it is lighting up. This being the case, the generic causes will be no oil / ignition / flame proving.

Definitley worth cleaning the photocell and possibly the oil filter and check there is no water in the oil. What type of oil tank do you have?

Thanks for that griggs.

Regarding the type of oil tank, it's a 1200 litre plastic one with a twist lid/cap . That's about the best description I could give. It is tall and thin as opposed to cylindrical.

I appreciate your help. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow after work.

Well after running for a few days, the burner decided to stop again. This time I looked more closely at the reset button. It is actually lit! I don't know what exactly that means. Once again, pushing the button starts it going again.

EDIT: just read griggs's post again. Is the photocell easy to get at? I would like to check if it does need cleaning. Failing that, I'll have to call out the boiler guy after the holidays. But if it's something I'd could do myself, then all the better.

Your repair guy before Christmas would normally have cleaned the photocell window as a matter of course.

But you could call him and ask if he really did! its easy enough to remoive and check.

But there could be many other causes of not firing and as it seems toi be temperature relayed then I would not be first suspecting the photocell.

If the boiler is outside then I would have expected you would have had a frost stat to bring the boiler on when the temps gets near to freezing.

Tony

I couldn't get hold of him before Christmas unfortunately. The strange thing is, the last couple of times it has stopped in the middle of a timed heating cycle i.e. 30 mins or 40 mins after the heating came on.

I have never had the burner start on its own before. So I would assume I do not have frost stat.

Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back