Oil burner fails to start intermittently

On the RDB, there are two silver flat head screws, one on top and one down by oil pump. Once they are removed the red cover will lift off, careful of any oil line etc as you remove it. Once the cover is off, looking from the back towards the top middle is what I can best describe as a black plastic boot with a black cable going from it to the control box, that is the photocell.

Worth a clean, but not convinced this will cure the problem as it seems a little too intermittent to be a dirty cell.

As I'm sure you are aware, intermittent problems can be a nightmare to identify, so its probably a good idea to start recording whats happening so as to see if a pattern can be identified.

If it has not been serviced within the last 12 months, worth while booking it in for one.

Sponsored Links
If the boiler is outside then you DO need a frost stat to avoid freezing damage.

You could try cleaning the photocell but I dont advise that in case you damage anything as the engineer would normally have checked it.

I wonder why he is not answering his phone? Not a very helpful service you are getting there!

Tony

Tony - Unless Ive missed something, the engineer visited the boiler over a year ago

What make / model of boiler is it. If its sold as an external unit it will probably have a built in frost stat.

Sponsored Links
This has only started happening since before Christmas and I thought it was something to do with the cold weather (the boiler is outside the house). ISTR it happened before. The repair guy came over and stripped it down and replaced a capacitor (I think). It worked fine for about a year or so after that.

You are quite right Griggs!

Its very badly written and if read quickly gets understood as one following the other!

So we now find it has not had its annual service!

So cleaning the photocell may well be an issue. But a full service is advisable.

Tony

Not waxing of the oil as heating grade oil (28 sec) is kerosene and it would have to be extremely cold for that to happen - sorry can't find a figure for it but I recall it being lower than -20C.

Could be freezing of condensation lying in the tank outlet filter area. This can effectively block the filter in cold weather below 0C. Worth dismantling the filter bowl and checking/cleaning.

Probably the oil pump; turn off the fuel,undo the four allen screws on the end cap and remove it.Remove and clean the filter, and check for water marks. It is also worth removing the pump to check the bearings by hand turning to check for tight spots.

Guys, thanks for you help on this. I haven't had a chance to check anything yet, as I managed to put my foot through the ceiling while putting the Christmas tree into the attic. DOH!

That's another job onto the list. Why do these things happen during the Christmas holidays?

I managed to find some documents on the Riello burner from a website. It points out the various items mentioned (photocell etc).

Just to clarify some things.

The burner has never been serviced. It was installed about 9-10 years ago.
It has failed once before (around 18 - 24 months ago I think). The pump had to be replaced. I still have to the old one, which does appear to be very stiff.
The stopping issue first happened around 12 months ago when the capacitor was replaced. It has been fine up till now.

Hopefully I'll be able to look at tomorrow, if I'm not out looking for plasterboard!

Many thanks again.

Sorry to hear about the foot through the ceiling! Perhaps its your punishment for never having the boiler serviced?

On Wednesday I went to see a six month old boiler and pointed out that the controls flap did not look like the original and suggested the installer had broken it and replaced the flap.

The customer said that the installer did indeed drop the boiler. I said right thats it then!

The customer replied that the installer did not simply drop the boiler but was carrying it when there were no floor boards and put a foot through the ceiling and the boiler fell on top of him and nearly sent him crashing down into the flat below with the boiler!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back