Oil burner locking out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I recently ran out of heating oil and consequently the Riello burner locked out. Once I was refuelled I bled the oil supply to the burner and after several attempts to reset, it kicked in, albeit with a whirring noise on startup. It has run for 3 days and I had noticed the whirring noise was still evident during the 3 days. Today the burner locked out again and I have bled the oil supply again in case there was still trapped air, and after several attempts the burner has kicked in. Please could I have some opinions on whether this now still to do with remaining air or could there more probably be other issues such as dirt in the system, and what I should investigate if it locks out again? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Depending on how much you started the burner with a dry pump trying to bleed fuel through, the whirring sound may be the fuel pump worn out. They do not like dry running. Alternatively, you may not have bled everything out of the supply. Do you have a filter in line that needs bleeding? Check for that first, then bleed a couple of litres of fuel through. If the noise persists, you may need a new pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back