oil burner

R

ringy1

I have replaced the oil burner on my firebird super Q90 but when i fitted the new burner it fired up no bother ran it for a min and when i turned it off smoke came out and i got a very strong smell, fired her up another few times and the same happened but less smoke and strong smell each time this happened about 3 times and now when i turn the burner off all is well (no smoke or smell) can anyone tell me what was this? brand new burner just fitted and it only happened about 3 time when i turned it off and now all is grand :confused:

Sponsored Links
A burner needs to be tuned into each boiler by recommissioning it.
Oil pressure, air shutter settings, flue analysis all need to be carried out to get the proper performence, also depending on burner the head may need adjusted too. Burner out of box will have only been test fired and not atached to specific boiler shell.

If that was the case why did it only happen when i first fired the new burner and turned it off each time after about a min each time and then it smoked and i got a smell (happened 3 times and got less each time) but as soon as i let it run awhile it stoped happening, it was like it was burning off something because it was new. Anyway all is well now

Where did the smoke come from, ringy? Was it the flue?
Possibly the firebox area was saturated in kerosene from the old burner, do you think?
Anyway, pleased its working ok - at some time in the (warmer) future its worth having a flue gas analysis done.
John :)

Sponsored Links
No not from the flue from the burner area from the monting plate where the burner goes into the boiler the smoke came from there. Because the old burners motor was bet (seized up, now she could of being rotating very slowly as i could hear a slight hum out of it) and yes i checked capacitor, and i could hear the burner trying to light and i could hear the spark so i justs replaced the hole burner because it was 15 years old, the combustion chamber must of being drenched in kero from that what ya say?

Any burner, run for one minute in a cold combustion chamber will smoke and smell.
When you stop it, there is still a quantity of oil left in the nozzle line which has to evacuate, and will do so at a decreasing pressure. After one minute, the chamber will be cooldd, as will the blast tube, so liquid oil on a warm surface will smoke and smell. When it is hot, it burns cleaner.
Your new burner still needs commissioning on your boiler.

Yep i intend to get it commissioned in the near future as i forked out a few pound for the new burner so funds are low. It is factory set so it will burn ok for the moment, will it? Until i get it commissioned

Leave it be until it gets a bit warmer, mate....there should be a gasket of some sort between the burner and the boiler. Some have a seal between the blast tube and the mounting plate, some have a seal between the mounting plate and the boiler, and some have both. Either way, you don't want fumes puffing back into the boiler casing that you can smell. Chuffed that the new burner is behaving though, and long may it continue!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back