oil smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone tell me what could cause an oil smell as burner starts to fire
after about 5 mins the smell is gone
thanks

Sponsored Links
Maybe leaking from the flue before it warms up and generates a draught. Otherwise a minor oil leak somewhere. The sense of smell tires very quickly.

it's a benetone burner and it's open flued
the smell is only on the initial firing sequence and about 5 mins after it has fired the smell has completely gone
there is no loud bang when the burner ignites
thanks

Sponsored Links
And what make/model is the boiler itself?

Is the flue low level or up a chimney/flue pipe?

Is it in a room with an extract fan or vented tumble drier?

Is there a door to the outside?

it's a wamsler converted solid fuel to kerosene
it goes up a chimney
there is a cooker hood but this happens when the extractor is off
there is only a window

Les, I'd check for any oil leaks when the burner is off, even the slightest leak can stink the place out!! If you can't find anything, well you then should check all the seals on the cooker. Make sure they are all in A1 condition.

If you are still getting a pong, then it must be the burner, post or pre fire-up.

delta t
what do you mean by the burner
the only seals that have not been renewed are the ones on the burner
all the other fire rope seals have been renewed
there are no signs of any oil or wet or damp patches
it seems that when the burner goes into firing sequence that the unit does not catch with the spark straight away

Has this burner been set up with Instruments? unless the fuel/Air ration is correctly set then the burner may cause a strong smell of oily fumes until the chi,mey warms and the updraught gets going, I suspect that your burner may be "over-aired" ;)

boilerman
this is a modified benetone burner
the burner has no model number on it
the adjustment for the air in take is a sliding damper which was made with a piece of aluminium on a sliding bar
there is no numbering for adjusting the air in take
the air in take is currently fully open
the pressure guage is set between 8.5 and 9.5 bar
there is no inspection port on this cooker apart from taking off the top and doing a smoke test
the smoke test was more on the side of trace than number 1
there is only 1 baffle in the combustion chamber which is at the top
the nozzle that is in it is a danfoss .55 / 80 degree solid
i think by setting this air in take down a bit at a time and then testing with the smoke pump is the only way to do it
if i have this under aired will it cause incomplete combustion and cut down on the eff ???

Les, you need to get the burner/appliance set-up correctly. They may need to bore a hole in the flue for readings??!!!

can the hole in the flue be closed off with closure tape
can the flue be tested with the smoke pump and if not why??
or do you need a fga
thanks

Les, it does need to be set-up by some one who knows what they are doing.

what are the disadvantages of the burner being over aired apart from the smell of oil

Efficiency for starters Les, the burner needs to be set-up for that reason alone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back