Oil Fired AGA control valve question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a new kitchen fitted and the AGA control valve needs to be re sited. I wish to use new oil fittings all round and want to get them in before work starts but, I'm having trouble identifying the oil input port connection size. It's probably 1/4" BSP but not sure if it's tapered or straight, does anyone have knowledge of this connection size.

Regards
Chineplate

Sponsored Links
Unless you are wanting your new kitchen to go up in flames.
I would strongly reccommend that you leave this work alone, and employ the services of some one who is qualified.

If you cannot identify a simple bsp fitting ,You are totally out of your depth.
I have seen instances where the cooker has caught fire due to incorrect fitting and adjustment of an oil control valve.

Unless you are wanting your new kitchen to go up in flames.
I would strongly reccommend that you leave this work alone, and employ the services of some one who is qualified.

If you cannot identify a simple bsp fitting ,You are totally out of your depth.
I have seen instances where the cooker has caught fire due to incorrect fitting and adjustment of an oil control valve.

You are a drama Queen.

Once the fitting is removed I'd be able to identify it but whilst it's in situ I can't tell if it's tapered or straight.

Sponsored Links
Is that Fire engines I can hear...

Get an Oftec technician to install the ocv..if your not competent, dont touch it

You can't just move the oil control valve on an AGA!

It's height is critical to the safe operation of the burner and is where it is because it's part of the design of the burner.

You will have to change the design of your kitchen to suit the AGA, not the other way round!

If you've messed around with it you'll have to get an Oftec guy to re-set it.

Leave well alone!

Several of you have made quite a few assumptions re my ability/qualifications without addressing my question.

Is it a tapered or straight fitting that is required.

Why not re-use the old one? You'll only need an olive, or a flaring tool depending on what has been used, and depending how old it could be 3/8" or 10mm. You'll also need to adapt the oil feed to the burner, so bear in mind if you are moving any distance, the 8mm pipe may be too restrictive at a 3.7cc flow rate.
Depending on the make of O.C.V. , it could be either, but a taper one will fit whichever thread the valve has. It will be 1/4" B.S.P.

You need to keep the valve at exactly the same level. Let the supply pipe drop straight down to the lowest point, and then rise continuously to the burner. The max oil rate is 8cc per minute.

Oilhead and Mysteryman. Thanks for your positive approach and advice.

The OCV isn't moving far, out of the old cupboard next to the AGA and then into the replacement cupboard. At the moment the Handwheel fire valve is connected to the Thermostatic FV which is connected directly to the OCV oil input port, all in a line. Because the new cupboard is half the width of the old I need to change this in-line arrangement to a horse shoe setup without changing the position of the oil input or output lines. I needed to know the fitting sizes so that I can prepare for this as I plan to use flared fitting. Your point is noted wrt steel output pipe fall and I'm happy with the oil levels and flow rates. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back