Oil heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just about to move into a new house with Oil heating, never has this before in my life - is it economical/environmentally sensible??

The boiler is prob 18 months old and is mounted externally, the oil tank and pipes look brand new as well so I guess 18 months max again!

Internal pipeworks looks horrid but I suspect that is original!

Question is, with no mains gas, knowing this system is quite new shall I keep it or save up for LPG installation? Searched the web and found conflicting reports as to what is best, but no independant comments!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the fast reply, do you work in heating then, I will be looking for a service on this boiler in the Salisbury area?

Best get the tank filled, what is a fair price per litre these days??

Ta.

MOD

see item 9

30p or so /litre

(MOD

Watch it or you're going to get a spanking!!!)

err item 8

If you want to have LPG have it. Then when you're talking to someone about oil, you will find out you can pay for the whole installation in about 2 to 3 years to get it back to oil, from the savings in the fuel cost.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, looks like I almost strayed onto commercial matters, sorry all!
Please feel free to message me off the board to discuss oil.
I move in four weeks, this site is great its answering lots of questions!

Duncan.

So who's directing abuse toward other forum members, eh? You are getting a bit sensitive, that was supposed to be read as a spoof MODs comment not abuse. People should spend more time off the forum than on it, otherwise reality becomes fantasy.

MOD

funny the see 8 was meant in the same vein ;)

Lol, and I thought I could get kicked off in my first week!

Back to my oil burner however - only has two pipes coming out of it - appears it only does the radiators?

I do not know he make of the boiler - its new(ish), could either of the following be poss;

1. It does not heat the hot water.
2. It uses only two pipes anyway for both?
3. It is just not connected!

In this property - anything is possible!

have came across 2 a few times cylinder just teed off the heating curcs

you might have a three port valve in the system you need to have a good look about

airing cupboard is a good place to start ;)

Running cost wise for every £1 you spend on nat gas you will spend £1.20 on oil £2.00 on LPG and £5.00 on normal tariff electric. Off peak electric comes in about the same as LPG depending on supplier but its naff so dont go there.
Stick with the oil if nat gas isnt an option!

I've got an LPG tank and, to be honest, even if I changed over to gold & diamond-powered water heating, I can't imagine any circumstances in which it could possibly cost more.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back