oil leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2000 reg Astra, the oil was low on it the other day so I topped it up, it is about 1/2cm above the max on the dip stick. Now I've started to notice that there is some oil leaking under the car. Is this possibly my doing for filling it too much?

Also on a completely different problem, I cant open my bonnet without someone putting pressure on the bonnet when I pull the level in the car to pop it.

Anyone any advice on any of these problems?

Sponsored Links
I have a 2000 reg Astra, the oil was low on it the other day so I topped it up, it is about 1/2cm above the max on the dip stick. Now I've started to notice that there is some oil leaking under the car. Is this possibly my doing for filling it too much?
Possibly, but that's a small amount to be above the max. Are you sure it's only 1/2cm after standing on level ground all day?
Removing some oil is a relatively easy process, done cold.. Just unscrew the oil drain plug (with your fingers after you get it loose), let some oil drop out, then put the plug back in. Even if you accidentally drop the plug and dump the entire pan of oil, you caught it in a suitably large container, right? Just pour it back in. If you can find a high kerb you might not even need to jack the car up.. Drain plugs are usually easily accessible

Also on a completely different problem, I cant open my bonnet without someone putting pressure on the bonnet when I pull the level in the car to pop it.

Anyone any advice on any of these problems?
Sounds like the catch is worn or not lubricated and the spring that stops the bonnet rattling is pushing the catch pin against the catch assembly too strongly to allow the catch assembly to move. If youre struggling to imagine what I mean, take the key out the ignition then turn the wheel til the steering lock comes on. Now try starting the car: the steering wheel is springing back agaisnt the lock so strongly it is jamming the lock. You have to release the spring pressure by turning the wheel
As for a fix.. lubricate the catch, or replace it.

Right, I managed to get some cardboard under the engine for a few hours after running it and there is a leak as I found a few drops of oil on it. Its not many but theres a few.

When I check my dip stick its still quite full so the leak is not causing massive oil loss.

I'm just wondering would it be a bad idea to keep topping it up when it gets low (it doesn't seem to be moving much so hopfully not going to happen unexpectedly) or is that a really bad idea?

Sponsored Links
Back