Oil Leak / Burning Oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got a ford ka3 ('99 T-reg), and recently ive noticed a drop in the oil level. Ive had a look under the bonnet and i recon that this is my problem;

that connector in that line at the back seems to have oil on it, and there also seems to be oil spilage on the components below.

Do you recon that this oil line(?) is the problem and all that needs to be done is to tighten it up? Ill probably take it to the garage next week.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I am not familiar with the Ka, but it does not look like an OIL line, looks more like a fuel line to me. The smaller pipe next to your marked pipe will be a brake pipe.
To my knoledge cars don`t usually have external oil pipes.
Look for something else including what mileage has it done, might be burning it.
JonB

Thats either the brake line or the hydraulic clutch line.
If you've got oil round that area then i'd guess and a breather pipe is split somewhere or the valve cover is leaking.

JonB said:
Look for something else including what mileage has it done, might be burning it.
JonB

Ill give it another look.

Its done about 92 000 miles so my fear is that its burning oil - if it is then is it pretty knacked?, expensive to repair?

The mpg is pretty consistant at 44mpg, and the exhaust gases dont look "black". I havent noticed any oil patches on the floor where its parked.

Sponsored Links
If the engine is burning oil then the level on the dipstick will be down at fairly frequent intervals. Is it ? How often do you have to top it up and by how much ? This is the test.
Also, sometimes there's a noticable puff of grey smoke from the exhaust, is there such smoke ?
Regards

Back