Oil pipe diameter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a new oil tank which will be 2.25 m below the burner. I was going to use 10mm o/d pipe but the tiger loop information says that 4mm i/d pipe would be sufficient and warns against using pipe with too large a diameter. Am I OK using 10mm (8.8mm i/d) or is it likely to cause problems, pipe run is 20 - 25 m?

Sponsored Links
10mm Would probably be ok. (Read that as "I have seen such installations that are working").

I would use 8mm Plastic coated copper on the suction line.Or to be 100* sure A BM oil lifter.

I'm sure your installer will advise you though. ;)

Use 8mm, or even 6mm. It will give you enough oil. Try to think of it as sucking a drink through a straw as opposed to sucking the same drink through the inner tube of a kitchen roll. The weight of oil would be much heavier in 10mm.

BM oil lifter no longer made BM have gone kuput!! 10mm copper will work Ok on a 2.5Mtr lift - never had one fail yet, just make sure all fittings are 100% tight as air ingress can occur when the burner runs due to a vacuum in the lift pipe! ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies everyone, would you recommend putting a non return valve at the tank end of the pipe or is it unnecessary?

Read the Mi's and tiger loop booklet. It is not hard to find out is it?

Tamz, thanks for that - very intelligent comment, I have already read the Tigerloop leaflet, the reason I asked this question is that Boilerman2 recommended a non return valve in this thread; //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1781102#1781102 based on the details of the installation (which includes a Tigerloop). If you read my question again you will notice that I ask for opinions which is what forums are generally about.

It certainly wont be the OFTEC installer who put the existing Tigerloop inside the house.

Lol...yes Ive seen a number of tiger loops installed inside the house, and right next to the boiler. all that lovely vapour and a spark..!

Last customer complained that she could smell oil fumes. The boiler was hidden under the kitchen work surface. once I got into the unit and explained that the tiger loop should be outside and the hazards of having it where is was. I later found out that her hubby was a plumber and he had installed it there...! Probably short sighted as he couldnt read the instructions.

Tamz, thanks for that - very intelligent comment, I have already read the Tigerloop leaflet, the reason I asked this question is that Boilerman2 recommended a non return valve in this thread; //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1781102#1781102 based on the details of the installation (which includes a Tigerloop). If you read my question again you will notice that I ask for opinions which is what forums are generally about.

It was an intelligent answer and as good or better than any other one you have been give.

READ the MI's. All the answers you need are contained in them. All easy to understand. The same stuff is in every MI regardless of the make.
If you don't have any MI's for your boiler download some infact read page 10 of this
http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/ca...ns-for-greenstar-camray-and-camray-system.pdf

My replay to the previous post was for a SINGLE PIPE LIFT NOT A TIGER LOOP please do not mis-quote me a tank mounted NRV will do nothing to assist a Tiger loop !! :mad:

Sorry Boilerman2, my mistake, the original post in that thread said that the OP had already acquired a tigerloop; I assumed that you were offering advice based on using that rather than suggesting he spent more money. I didn't think I was mis-quoting you. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back