Oil tank installation problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I hope this is the right section to post this. I have a friend who has had an oil tank installed in their garden. It is about 300mm from the neighbours fence and the installers made some temporary fireproofing which was basically a few sheets of hardibacker board leant against the fence and told them that they need a wall built.

The problem is that there is no room to work behind the tank, and also as it is laid on slabs they will have to come up for a foundation to be dug. This means that to get the wall built the fence will have to come down, with the work carried out from the neighbours garden in very cramped conditions which will triple the cost of the wall.

Is there any fireproof products which will meet regs and can be installed like a fence pancel? Also, is it down to the people who installed the tank to make sure that it is all correct before leaving site? It seems to me that they should have at least suggested getting the wall built first.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Concrete fence posts populated with concrete gravel boards. Paint it pretty colours.

Why is a wall required?

How high and wide do the flames from a burning oil tank reach?

Just trying to comply with the regs as I understand them. I like the idea of concrete gravel boards....do they need to return back across the sides of the tank aswell? There is a small tree at either end of the tank, should they be protected aswell?

Is there a responsibily on the installers of the tank to make sure this is done before they leave site? It seems to me a bit sloppy that they have left this problem

Sponsored Links
I can't see the responsibility lying with them, ultimate responsibility will lie with the property owner

Concrete fence posts populated with concrete gravel boards. Paint it pretty colours.

^^ This, although you can get concrete fence panels as well as gravel boards.

I believe the issue is the fence catching fire (neighbour has a bonfire etc.) which then spreads to the oil tank. There are regulations, not sure if they are HSE or someone else and I can't be bothered to look it up.

The regulations wording that applies here is as follows:

Provide a fire wall between the tank and
the boundary or a boundary wall having
at least 30 minutes fire resistance to fire
on either side. The fire wall or the
boundary wall should extend at least
300mm higher and wider than the top
and sides of the tank.

Provide a fire wall between the tank and
the boundary or a boundary wall having
at least 30 minutes fire resistance to fire
on either side. The fire wall or the
boundary wall should extend at least
300mm higher and wider than the top
and sides of the tank.

Any idea when that dates from? My tank doesn't comply.

Yep, they're the ones! So does this include the vegetation as well, will it need a fire wall between the tank and the tree which is right next to it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back