Oil tanks - vertical vs. horizontal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
"Vertical" oil tanks are cheaper than "horizontal" ones. If space isn't an issue, do horizontal tanks have any advantages that make them worth the extra cost?

Sponsored Links
They tend to have a smaller footprint, but if space isn't an issue vertical is the way to go

Sponsored Links
The tanks I'm looking at (2500 EHB horizontal and EVB vertical from https://www.envirostoreuk.com/tank-range/bunded-tanks/) are both fully bunded.

The horizontal one does have a slightly smaller footprint (2.50m2 vs 2.64m2) but occupies a considerably bigger overall area (3.41m2 vs 2.64m2) so I'm not sure that's much of an advantage. In fact, OFTEC say the base should extend 300mm beyond all sides of the tank, which might imply that the horizontal one would actually need a considerably larger base even though its footprint is a bit smaller.

The horizontal tank is less than 4 inches narrower, but nearly 2 feet longer. Obviously if you simply couldn't squeeze in those few inches of width but had plenty of room the other way then the horizontal would be the only option, but that's likely to be a tiny proportion of cases. That made me wonder if there's some other advantage of the horizontal that I'm missing, otherwise it seems they would be fairly pointless in most circumstances.

The volume of the bund ( 110% of storage volume ) is the same irrespective of the storage volume being in a vertical tank or horizontal tank.

Eh? A bund makes the footprint bigger. Whether it’s vertical or horizontal so horizontal will always be bigger footprint than vertical! Bund or not!

horizontal will always be bigger footprint than vertical!

True where the bund is a second skin to the tank.

But for a "tradditional" bund ( an oil proof and empty "pond" under the tank ) the foot print area A is determined by stored volume V and depth of bund D

A = V / D

How resistant to attack with malicious penetration are tanks with integral bund ? Risk assessment ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back