Oiled Furniture... does anyone have experience?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking at buying some furniture which has an oiled finish rather than lacquer. I am concerned about accidents with drinks etc. Am I right in thinking that say if a drink is spilled or a hot mug was put on the furniture then I would be left with a mark?

If the answer is yes how do I remedy it? Should I be sticking to a lacquered finish.

Thanks

Simon

Sponsored Links
I think you may be thinking of a french polished finish. That can easily mark with spills or hot mugs causing white marks.

All you do to remove them is put a thin pool of methylated spirit on the mark, ignite it and immediately blow it out.
You might have to do it once or twice but make sure you blow it out straight away.

Regarding an oiled finish 50/50 genuine turpentine and linseed oil is a good feed for oiled furniture.

A kitchen work surface, white oak with Danish Oil, survives well without marking (*). Every few years a light sanding and a new applicaton of oil keeps it looking pristine.

(*) the only marking was where some water has remained over night and had darkened a small area the oak. Light sanding by hand removed the darkened surface and then new oil was applied to the area.

If applying oil with a cloth put the cloths in a bucket of water when you have finished. Many of the oils can self ignite if left on a cloth that is then thrown into the bin

I have a work bench that I use to take apart my outboards .Its well oiled and will never ever rot ..So oiling your furniture keeps the rot away :)

Sponsored Links
Hi. We have an oiled oak dining room suite roughly 10 years old and yes we have had spills. To be honest, we stopped oiling about 5 years ago and have never looked back. The oak is about 40mm thick and when 'rings' appeared from wine glasses etc, it was a case of out with the sand paper or if the mark was very bad, out with the sander. The worst problems were, 1. getting the wet linseed dry and 2. when a careless clot, yours truly, knocked over a glass of red, getting the resulting stain removed took forever. Love the furniture but would never go for the oiled again.

I don't get that Bolo?

You say you've never looked back after stopping the oiling, but then infer that marks / stains are difficult to remove thereafter. Or, am I missing something?
Have you ever tried Briwax instead of an oiled finish?

To be honest, we stopped oiling about 5 years ago and have never looked back

I don't get that Bolo?
You say you've never looked back after stopping the oiling, but then infer that marks / stains are difficult to remove thereafter. Or, am I missing something?

My apologies for the lack of clarity fender. What I intended to say was that because oiling was such a messy chore, we have never regretted stopping doing it.

The oak is about 40mm thick and when 'rings' appeared from wine glasses etc, it was a case of out with the sand paper or if the mark was very bad, out with the sander.The worst problems were, 1. getting the wet linseed dry and 2. when a careless clot, yours truly, knocked over a glass of red, getting the resulting stain removed took forever.
Removing stains was always a pain before and after stopping oiling!

Have you ever tried Briwax instead of an oiled finish?
Now I don't get it. Are you saying that after stopping oiling we could apply Briwax or that we shouldn't have bought oiled furniture in the first place? If it's the former then it really sounds good.

Some of ours is oiled, but not used where it would get stained really.
If you've stopped oiling, yes you can use briwax. It's pretty good stuff and the satin finish it gives is hard-wearing. Give it a go!

Cheers fender, will give it a try on one of a much used nest of coffee tables.

This reminds me, we have not oiled our sideboard for several years.

Cheers. :)

Sponsored Links
Back