Oiled to laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have an oiled engineered oak floor, its about 6 months old and my wife now wants it shiney as in the laquered look. :mad:

Can anyone advise the best way to achive this please.

Also I have engineered flooring to fit upstairs, I have very good quality underlay, can I lay the flooring on top of this or do I need to get the hard green board?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
karawara88 said:
Hello

I have an oiled engineered oak floor, its about 6 months old and my wife now wants it shiney as in the laquered look. :mad:

Can anyone advise the best way to achive this please.
Apply hardwax (or liquid waxpolish) and start buffing ;)

karawara88 said:
Also I have engineered flooring to fit upstairs, I have very good quality underlay, can I lay the flooring on top of this or do I need to get the hard green board?

Thank you.
2 - 3mm foam underlayment on existing floorbards will be alright, especially in bedrooms where there isn't 'walking' all day.
Just don't use carpet underlayment.

Thanks for that, I will set her to work!

Why can't carpet underlay be used? curious to know.

Sponsored Links
Carpet underlay is for carpet ;) (No, seriously, it's made of rubber and tends to crumple when used under wooden flooring. Also, if you're thinking if re-using the old carpet underlayment better think of all the little buggies, dust and dirt the underlayment has collected underneath the carpet)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back