Oiling an engineered oak floor - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've recently had oak worktops and flooring installed in to our kitchen. We were advised to use beeswax to seal it. However after having it applied we realised very quickly it wasnt water repellent. We've managed to remove it from the work top and have applied tung oil and it looks great, very repellent!

We are now considering doing the same with the floor. Im just a bit concerned as to how 'robust' it will be. Also if dirt will show up really easily/ be a nightmare to clean. I really want to stay away from laquer as want the option to just maintain the floor every few months. I also want a natural looking finish that can complement the worktop.

Can anyone advise if tung oil can be used on a kitchen floor?? It will also be quite heavy traffic as I have a 3 and 4 year old who will be running through the room to access the garden?

Sponsored Links
alternatively, use Saicos Premium HardWaxOil, natural. Comes in 4 sheens: ultra mat, mat, satin-mat and gloss. (Quick drying, as good as Osmo, but cheaper)
Can be applied to work tops too

Personally a matt fisnish is a waste of time, shows the slightest footprint, only saicos know what the ultra matt looks like as they havn't sold any yet !!

Sponsored Links
Ultra mat looks like an unfinished floor and a lot of people are looking for just such a finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back