Ok, lets have it ..... are you a tool snob?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you buy a hammer to hit nails or hang off your tool belt on display?

Do you buy a Dewalt to drill holes, or hold it to display the label to your mates?

Do you throw all your tools in a communal box and leave them dirty, or do you carry 10 cases - with the name facing outwards, and polish the tools so the name can be seen glowing for miles?

Do you change your tools more often then your pants as new designs come out, or do you work them like a pit donkey untill they fall apart?

Do you wear that free "Makita 72v Uranuim Cordless" tee-shirt or use it to clean your dashboard?

Does your Lexus GT-E saw really cut better than my Skoda 1.3L - is it the name badge or the blade that does it?

Feel free to confess ..... you will feel better for it :evil:

Sponsored Links
most of my tools have to work in all weathers, and mud as im a landscaper. I dont like wasting money on crap that breaks and has to be thrown away. I like to go for tried and tested and ones with a decent warranty that can do the job. I made a concious decision that i would invest money in decent tools to do the job and do it quicker. Nothing stays shiney in my toolkit, normally smeared with dry mud!

I don't bother with Estwings as i've had 3 of them fail in one way or another, whereas my £7 clone is going great guns years on. For nips its worth spending the few pound on Nippex, they just are the best. For saws we never have to buy them ourselves in the shuttering side, but the Makita 5903 is the reliable workhorse.. all the others break or annoy you in some way a lot quicker i find. I used to think it was worth spending more for the Stanley tape.. but they don't seem to make them as well as they used to.. rust a lot quicker now. Therefore.. a snob if its worth it, otherwise its function over fashion!

agree with you about the stanley tape, bought opne about 3 months ago and the numbers are all worn off it already.....in the bin!

Sponsored Links
Check my tool box, one draw with Snap on gear, next draw down, have a rummage and you may find some screwfix ownbrand or even some silverline :oops:

the tools i use most, i.e. everyday, need to be strong and premium brands. tools that need to take a lot of stick, and are used less frequently, also need to be of pedigree stock.

i have lesser name brands for less stressful tasks and less frequent usage.

for example, i have a cheapo jigsaw, purely for sawing out socket and switch knock-outs in plasterboard.

i use de-walt cordless drivers, blue (professional) bosch sds drill ( bomb proof), de-walt 708 saw and bench for roofing and general carpentry, a milwaukee h/d breaker.

horses for courses.

i have the cheapest drill going, specifically for mixing plaster. it is permanently fitted with a mixing paddle and is both very powerful and keeps on going. just shy of 4 years and counting. at 20 quid a pop it has paid for itself 10 fold. ;)

^woody^ said:
Do you throw all your tools in a communal box and leave them dirty,:

I have some quality tools and some cheapies but I don't think I'd treat any of them like that.

OK, so I'm a tool snob - but in the same way a professional sportsman will normally buy the best darts/racket/clubs/cues - because they perform better and last longer (both important when you are dependent on getting the maximum reliable working life out of anything). I do have some cheapo tools (like the £25 TCT core bit set: 50 & 100mm only) where the use is infrequent, but anything used daily such as my routers, SDS drills, cordlesses, etc are generally of good trade quality. The savings on a cheap tool are soon lost if the thing breaks in the middle of a job and you need to spend 2 hours and £50 over the odds buying the only available replacement in town from the local tool hire shop at full whack.....

Scrit

I'm not a snob about it, but I get really angry with myself when I succumb to buying a 'bargain' tool only to rediscover what I already knew: you gets what you pays for.

BTW, not all DeWalt stuff is top quality. This is a good thing because it teaches snobs a lesson. :evil:

some is (dewalt 708) some isnt (18v impact driver disintergrated after 1 month!) :eek:

i have two 12 volt screwdrivers, (confined to the garage due to poor battery life and was cheaper to buy new drills+batteries) which are as strong as owt. they will almost shear the head off a 4", 12.

the two new ones though are slightly less strong unfortunately, but the same voltage. oh, and a wee bit lighter too. can still pull in a 4" 12, but only just.

I'm not snobbish but I do get a certain enjoyment about teaching our less experienced employees about the benefit of quality tools. Almost all my tools are Bahco and have been for 20 years since I first discovered that a Phillips is actually different to a Pozi.

Not one person I have worked with either knows or cares about using the the right one for the screw in question

In my view quite simply the best screwdrivers available

Cheers

Richard

noseall said:
i have two 12 volt screwdrivers, (confined to the garage due to poor battery life and was cheaper to buy new drills+batteries) which are as strong as owt. they will almost shear the head off a 4", 12.

the two new ones though are slightly less strong unfortunately, but the same voltage. oh, and a wee bit lighter too. can still pull in a 4" 12, but only just.

oh forgot! they are dewalt fellas. this post was supposed to be a follow on from Thermo's. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back