ok, one for the physicists - can you create energy?

I

imamartian

i've thought long and hard about this.... but the theory says "you can't create energy". Well i think i can.....

you imagine a domino run - you know, where dominoes fall over and knock the next one over.... well imagine if they're set up in a triangular configuration. and one knocks over two, and in turn each of these knock over two in a binary increase...

ultimately the small amount of energy i put into the model (i.e. pushing over one domino) could build up to knocking over 1.24 million dominoes (or many, many more), or enough energy to push, say, a car off a bridge, or a piano one inch?

Sponsored Links
but you're not creating anything.. it's already there as potential energy just waiting for something to turn it into kinetic energy.. in this case gravity..

that's all well and good, but whilst we all exist in a gravitational pull... surely the potential for energy is infinite? what i mean is that a book falls off a shelf.... could be caused by a molecule of dust... but the result is masses of energy. The point i'm making is, gravity is free energy, surely?

Sponsored Links
No cos the book had to be lifted onto the shelf in the first place, and the dominoes had to be stacked= expenditure of energy to do it.

But if the book was lifted on to the shelf and allowed to fall down a very long shaft then the energy expended when it hit something would be much greater than that used to lift it.

ultimately the small amount of energy i put into the model

But what about teh amount of energy used to stand all these dominoes up in the first place.

On the other hand . . .

. . . if the dominoes were on a conveyor . .

I'll get my coat!

gravity is not energy, it's a force..
the energy is in the book.. you put it in there by putting it on the shelf in the first place....
same as the dominos..
you used kinetic energy which was derived from chemical energy from food you ate, which in turn was derived from solar energy, which was in turn derived from more chemical energy.... etc..

ultimately the small amount of energy i put into the model

But what about teh amount of energy used to stand all these dominoes up in the first place.

On the other hand . . .

. . . if the dominoes were on a conveyor . .

I'll get my coat!
It's not a 'Black' coat is it?!?!

No cos the book had to be lifted onto the shelf in the first place, and the dominoes had to be stacked= expenditure of energy to do it.

i thought you might say that.... (not necessarily you sooey)... but what about a landslide.....? one small rock and no one has set up all the other rocks...

You're suggesting ALL energy has been expended and put into potential energy stores?

i can't see that..... as gravity is still pulling....... and still pulling....

For rocks to be lifted naturally to a height above sea level they must have been acted on by either volcanic or tectonic forces.

But if the book was lifted on to the shelf and allowed to fall down a very long shaft then the energy expended when it hit something would be much greater than that used to lift it.

it would still be the same amount of energy.... the amount transfered would be all that changed..

and what about all the energy used to dig the shaft?

gravity systems already provide energy..

hydro-electric relies on gravity, as does tidal...

Sponsored Links
Back