ok to walk above newly plastered ceilings???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,,,I'm about to get some downstairs ceilings plastered in a few days and wondered if its ok to walk above them after they have been done or do you have to let it dry for a few days first???

Sponsored Links
If the ceiling joists are the right size and thickness and there are floor-boards down (which I imagine they are) then you shouldn't get any movement, unless the ends are rotten and your house is over 100 years old then you might get a bit of movement. But you would probably feel the bounce when you walk across the floor! Are you having new p/boards on the ceiling or is it being over skimmed? Like I say if there is movement in the joists then they will probably crack. Make sure that they are well screwed to the joists (if it is being boarded) and have had all the joints scrim-taped. I have never heard of anyone worrying about walking above a new ceiling.. So you should be fine...

the house is quite modern mate,,,probably built mid 80's,,,the ceilings seem sound,,,no cracks or anything,,,just have a textured coating on which I don't like so getting them skimmed over,,,ererything above is sound joists and floorboard etc,,,should be ok then by the sounds of it......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back