Old back boiler gas pipe help please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently bought a 1930s house that had an electric fire installed (combi boiler is 8 years old) I'm currently ripping out the old fireplace for a log burner and have came across the old pipework for the back boiler, my question is the old gas pipe is extremely loose.. As in I can jiggle it sideways approx 6 inches and it doesn't actually feel connected to anything. I've been told that it will have been capped elsewhere and is probably snapped inside the wall, there was no flow when the valve was opened so would I be able to remove this old pipe? As mentioned it will move about 6 inches to the right.
Thank you in advance! 20220822_192552.jpg

Sponsored Links
It appears to go below the floor. If you have a wooden floor, could you perhaps lift some floor boards and see where it goes, if anywhere? If it's obviously just a remnant of unconnected pipe, you can just cut it off and pull it out.

Sponsored Links
It goes off behind the brickwork into a cavity on the left then through the back into that wall, when I took the brickwork out 1 water pipe fell off, another is open both ends (can move the entire pipe from both sides, 2 are loose and 1 is solid. Being an old council property nothing has been done properly, mostly bodge jobs!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back