Old Boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondered if anyone would be kind enough to offer advice. In my house I have two boilers a central heating boiler and a hotwater boiler. The central heating boiler is old and needs replacing the hot water boiler is probably only a couple of years old and works fine. I have been given two options by my plumber he says we can

a - get rid of both and fit a combi boiler

or

b - fit a new central heating boiler

Any comment on the pros and cons would be apreciated as I am stumped

Sponsored Links
i think you should fit a combi cos they are the bestest thing in the world i love them endlessly :LOL:

seriously tho if you replace the boiler
you still have hot water or visa versa if one or the other goes wrong

and combis do

have a look round the forum ;)

WHY does the boiler need replacing? Is there something wrong with it, or has a plumber told you it needs replacing (and did he suggest a combi, perchance?)

Sponsored Links
It needs replacing because this winter it has failed in a number of different ways and the visits from the plumber are getting expensive. The boiler is around 20 years old so it probably is about due for replacement. Yes it was the plumber who suggested a combi.

I think the advice to keep the systems separate may have been a good one as it should envolve less mess. Though we would gain space by loosing one of the boilers it has been handy having hot water whilst we have no central heating. I guess replacing the one boiler will probably save a lot of work in terms of mess and we wont have to fill a big flue hole up ine side of our house.

Sorry forgot. There are 9 radiators in the house.

The is only a kitchen tap and one bathroom.

Oh and the central heating boiler would have to be a compact one capable of fitting in a kitchen cupboard

the key question is.....do you have room for a copper hot water cylinder ?

If not then it has to be a combi or 2 separate boilers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back