Old C/H boiler with no room thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an old Potterton Kingfisher gas boiler that is powered by a mains lead running to a plug in a wall socket. It's either on or off - apparently no thermostatic control so we switch it on when we're cold or want hot water and turn it off when we're warm enough.
I've got hold of a basic 4-terminal room thermostat so I can leave the heating on low for when we go away on hols.
The diagram that came with the thermostat shows which is live, neutral (2 of those) and earth but I've no idea how to actually wire this up in series to the mains cable powering the boiler.
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Which model of Kingfisher is it (there are a few in the floorstanding range)
Cant quite remember if that is a combi or not, but memory tells me it isn't, and its hardly my favourite Potterton by miles.

Heating controls are not just timers. You also need Zone valve(s) thermostat(s) and a junction box to connect the whole lot into.

Leaving hot water belting around your rads will just mean your house gets very hot. Leaving it running around the coil in your hot water cylinder meands the water you run a bath with gets scalding hot, and that is not a very good thing!

as above the thermostat controls a zone valve, might be better to buy a controls pack and get some one to fit that for you.

alternatively place a timer on the plug and turn down the boiler stat. this would give you heating for a couple of hrs during the time you are away .

Heating controls are not just timers. You also need Zone valve(s) thermostat(s) and a junction box to connect the whole lot into.
So how come I've got a CH system with no zone valves and a single thermostat/timer and I don't have hot water continually belting around my radiators turning the house into a sauna?

Sponsored Links
hot wateer is on gravity and timer controls the pump to bring on the heating ? its very hard to diagnos stuff without seeing it .:)

very frustrating i know but the more info the better.

[quote="ban-all-sheds";p="1092543]
So how come I've got a CH system with no zone valves and a single thermostat/timer and I don't have hot water continually belting around my radiators turning the house into a sauna?[/quote]

I didn't think this boiler was a combi, but there is so many around, you lose track!

In that case its a combi we're talking about, and the best way to provide control for heating is a programmable room thermostat, and generally the RF (wireless) type is the one to go for.
However, all central heating controls wiring is notifiable under part P of the building regs in England and Wales so a plumber or heating electrician (many plumber have contacts with these people) will be able to help you.

Judging from the posts, both of you have a combi.

And its me that loses track of the many many boilers out there.

Well I know mine is.

Guess we'll have to wait for Bungaroosh to return and tell us if his is...

The Kingfisher is not a combi, just a standard floor mounted heat only boiler so any room stat, wired or wireless rated for 240VAC will be ok ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back