Old coloured 2.5mm twin & earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of redoing my front room I’ve found the ring main sockets are all on black and red coloured single core 2.5mm twin and earth.

Whilst I’ve got access to them is it worth getting an electrician in to swap them? Just wondered how much longer these old coloured cables would be ok for. They are all in good condition with earth sleeved and no damage to the cables.

Thanks for your time and help.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If it's stranded it's nearer the end of it's life than if it was solid core T+E but chances are it's still perfectly serviceable

Perfect! So solid core black and red has got many years left in it do you think? Any rough estimation? Thanks for the advice!

Impossible to say without knowing how old it is (it was installed for many, many years).

But very rarely do you see a correctly installed and used piece of PVC T+E that NEEDS replacing. Rewires are often due to other factors - the actual cable is often sound.

That being said, if there's any green goo in the cable, it definitely does need replacing (but this may well pre-date solid core T+E, I've only ever seen it in stranded stuff)

No green goo and all looks good visually. A full electrical report when buying the house 3.5yrs account didn’t bring up any issues either.

The house is 1974 so I’m kinda guessing the cable would date back to then or is it likely that it’s been rewired?

Thanks again for your help and advice on this.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back