2.5mm twin/earth red/black ebay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
on ebay under "twin and earth" a shop in yorkshire is selling 100metre rolls of 2.5mm twin/earth with red/black conductors for £150 a roll.he says he has 10 rolls of which 4 are sold
is he really getting this sort of money for them?or is it just BS
if i knew how to put the listing on here i would but my computer skills are lacking

Sponsored Links
well i hope so. i have 4 rolls of it i have put on, 3 at 1.5mm and 1 at 2.5mm.i never thought anything like that would happen but i have over 20 odd watchers so who knows.im not holding my breath

Sponsored Links
its worth it for someone considering doing an illegal bit of diy, they can get around LABC etc etc..... not condoning it, but if i was short of cash, knew what i was doing with electricals and i wanted to pull in a new cable to a socket, it would be worth considering...

its worth it for someone considering doing an illegal bit of diy, they can get around LABC etc etc..... not condoning it, but if i was short of cash, knew what i was doing with electricals and i wanted to pull in a new cable to a socket, it would be worth considering...
The market presumably exists because some people think like that but, at about £100 over the going rate for a drum of 2.5mm², they would be on the way to being able to afford to do it legally! I'm surprised that there's not (for the same reason) similarly a market for brown/blue cable embossed with a 2004 manufacturing date - that may well come, once the stockpiles of red/black have all been exhausted! It certainly is most unlikley to be financially worthwhile to do a complete 'illegal re-wire' using red/black cable at e-Bay prices.

Kind Regards, John.

how much does LABC notification cost?
In my area, seemingly £285.96 for re-wires and £153.19 for 'other electrical work' in my area - but it varies and can, I believe, be as high as £400 in some places.

Kind Regards, John.

Of course I suspect it is perfectly legal to sell this stuff, but just not legal to install for mains wiring.

Didn't the new harmonized colours come into use BEFORE the part P regs??

Didn't the new harmonized colours come into use BEFORE the part P regs??
New colours available from April 2004
Part P January 2005
New colours mandatory from April 2006 - assuming you want to comply with BS7671.
With regards to notifiable work, old cable colours are meaningless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back