Old concrete floor - new hard wood surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Our house is about 100 years old. On the back there's a kitchen extension. The floor of the kitchen is concrete covered by old vinyl tiles.

What we want to do is replace the tile with an oak floor. The concrete floor is well over thirty years old, but I have no idea of its composition, ie. does it contain a DPM etc.

I should mention that the levels are quite high around our place and I know that in the past some damp proofing has been injected into the foundations.

The flooring I'm hoping to use isn't just raw planks, it's pre-prepared. Can I just lay this on the concrete over a sheet of insulation? Or do I, because of the unknown composition of the floor and the threat of damp, need to put down a layer of polythene, then batons, then the floor? Or do I need to lay a scree first? Or is it inadvisable to even try and should I be looking at other surfaces?

Cheers

Ewan Thomson

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back