Old damp ceiling patch-how to disguise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I had a bedroom ceiling re-plastered after a leak (which I thought had been fixed)

Disaster ! The leak wasn't fixed and although it is now, the nice new plastered ceiling has a big old damp stain on it

The ceiling was awaiting painting and I am hoping I don't have to cut out this patch and get it re-plastered but am wondered that it will still show through when painted over

Is there anything I can apply to the ceiling to avoid this??
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks

Do I still need to do that even though the ceiling is now bone dry?

And also, how do I dilute the PVA-what ratio (do I use water and is PVA widely available in B and Q etc??)

PVA, will not seal your water stain, it will come through again.

Oil based undercoat will do for you.

Sponsored Links
Growler said:
PVA, will not seal your water stain, it will come through again.

Oil based undercoat will do for you.

PVA wont touch it, and the cheapest and best IMO is what growler said, oilbased undercoat everytime. :D

Make sure you cover every inch of the stain though, leave to dry, and next day emulsion as normal, the stain wont bleed through.

Thanks-I know this is a daft question, but do I need to paint the entire ceiling with the oil based primer or can I simply go over the area where the damp stain was?

Would something like Dulux 1 Step Oil Based Primer Sealer & Undercoat do the job?

yes, that`ll do .....just over stain + a margin and random pattern @ edges to "loose" the shape ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back