Old doorbell electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Friedland Westminster doorbell unit on my hallway wall. It appears to be a dated piece of equipment. Quite grand but not what I want. I took the wooden front off it and checked it with my Fluke tester and an electrician's screwdriver. Both indicate no power to the unit. I took it off the wall on this basis. There is text on the unit, inside, which states that there is a 16v transformer powering the unit. The disconnected wires run down a channel on the plaster. I have a wooden floor. Is it likely that the transformer is under the floor boards ? Logically, I would expect the wires to be connected to the transformer somewhere and the mains to be also connected to the transformer. This is the bit I am concerned about. I believe I need to ensure that the mains connection is safe before cutting the wires and burying them in the wall. Ideally I would like to find the transformer and safely disconnect that. Any advice or watchouts with what I am seeking to do would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Location?

full

Usually the doorbell transformer is adjacent to the fuse board/consumer unit. But not always…….

Under the floor is not impossible.

Do you still have a bell push at the front door; does that have a voltage, and if you short the push wires do you get a voltage at the bell terminals?

Sponsored Links
OwainDIYer, there is a new wireless door bell with the plug in receiver/chime. There is no sign of a doorbell linked to the Friedland unit.

The only thing you can really do is trace the wires back. Using a toner may help to locate the route of concealed cables.

A Friedland Westminster sold on ebay for £32 quite recently.

In (newer types) or close to the consumer unit, under the floor, in the attic, in a cupboard or similar "hidden" place, even above the front door and boxed in - There are numerous places used depending upon the installer's sense of aesthetics and the convenience of routing the bell wiring and obtaining power for the transformer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back