Old Fireplace - First Time Plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old fireplace in the kitchen which has an assortment of tiles on it. Now the old floor standing boiler has been removed there is a miss-match. I intend to hack off all the tiles but I can see behind these is the bare brick/stone of the wall adjoining next door.

As I have absolutely no experience in plastering (but really want to give it a crack) and its not that important an area as such should I

Rough out on the wall initially and then plaster, or

Dry line the wall (dot & dab as a fixing??) and then plaster over the board?

I know I will probably make a hash of it but I think if I dryline and really bodger it could probably pull off the board and start again! Where if I plaster over the cement render and muck up will take a bit too correct it...

Am I right in saying I would need to PVA the p/board before plastering?

Whats the vital equipment I would need? Is there a good float for beginners size wize etc. There seem to be a lot to choose from. Is there a ready mix plaster that will provide good results if going for the plasterboard option? Any advice greatfully received..will probably youtube a few instructional videos too!

And yes of course I could pay someone to do it but am keen to practice even though it will probably cost me more.

Sponsored Links
well...

tricky to advise without seeing the job but here are SOME answers to get us going.

plasterboard would indeed be easier to rectify if you make a mess of it BUT any scrap you have won't be accepted at the local tip anymore, having said that i think boarding would be a good option for you.

if you are tiling over it you needn't plaster it at all, and NO to PVA before skimming unless it's green moisture proof board.

you needn't skim it anyway if you don't want to, just prime it with board sealer and paint it.

regarding float size, i wouldn't worry too much, make sure the handle is comfy though, a trowel of about 11-13 inches should see you right, may do better with a smaller one though and try and get a marshalltown or ragni or tyzack, you'll find these at B&Q or screwfix and shouldn't need to spend more that £25.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back